I Forge Iron

Columbian anvil buying advice

Hi, I am a new member been lurking around forever, have been enjoying reading everyone advice and opinions. Searching around for a decent anvil to start out on for a few months, with hopes in the future of doing some general blacksmithing and of course the occasional knife nothing to serious, so i don't want anything crazy heavy.  I came across this an 85 lb Columbian, seller is not a blacksmith asking $350, asked all general the questions about ring and rebound that he couldn't answer.  Looks to be in good condition, to far away for me to drive just to inspect, offered him $300 which seemed fair, he didn't accept and came back at $325, to which i haven't responded yet.  Just looking for general advice from some seasoned veterans, on if it would still be a good deal.  It would be a 2.5-3 hour drive to pick up.  Thanks in advance, looking forward to be an active member of the community, as i am sure to have many questions in the future.

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

Anvils are going for crazy prices these days and a lot of folks are wanting to cash in.  That looks like a nice farrier's pattern anvil with plenty of life left in it.  My first worry would be that the top edge with the "C" on that side looks like it might have had some edge weld repairs.  It is not easy to repair an anvil correctly by welding it, and more likely than not could have been ruined.  Personally for the work I like to do I would find that anvil a little light, though it would make a good one for taking to hammer-in events or onsite demos.  While a pristine Colombian might command a $4/LB price range, with the potential edge repair, lighter than I would want for my shop, and farrier pattern which I don't find optimal weight distribution for the work I like to do, I would pass on it unless it was offered at under $200, but that is just me.

For what it is worth, Colombian anvils are typically viewed as one of the better brands, similar to Trenton or Arm and Hammer.

On the other hand, for you it might be just right as a first anvil.  Not a screaming good deal perhaps, but anvil prices seem to keep going up.  Certainly better than a Harbor Freight ASO or a cutout rail track anvil.  Most of the cost could probably be recouped if you ever resell, unless it has been wrecked by bad "repairs", and is it worth quibbling over $25? 

Agree the $25 is not worth that much of a haggle, have been looking for something more in the 125 lb range, but anything with a good name in that range and in good condition is crazy expensive.  I was figuring an 85lber would be sufficient for a long while which could be my inexperience, especially having not even swung a hammer yet.  Keeping resale value in mind in case the need arose to get something bigger, i didn't think this size would restrict me for a good while.  please correct me if i am wrong, any advice is welcomed.

Is a good anvil at a good price. Go ahead and buy it. Stuff you pass on doesn't come back. As to money, you'll make more next week. Buy it. You'll be glad you did.

George

Also, is not a horseshoers pattern. Is a combination all purpose pattern. They were popular for a while with general smiths who shod some horses too. A good all purpose anvil.

7 minutes ago, George Geist said:

Also, is not a horseshoers pattern. Is a combination all purpose pattern. They were popular for a while with general smiths who shod some horses too. A good all purpose anvil.

Sorry, small waist, large horn and heel always equaled a farriers pattern anvil to me.  Of course it does not have the integral posts (not sure the correct term), dual pritchel holes or clip horn that some modern farriers anvils have, but I still thought it might be classified as one (ref.: http://butlerprofessionalfarrierschool.com/archives/471 ).  In any event, I personally prefer more of the anvil mass to be above the waist of an anvil as I find they work better for me, regardless of the terminology.  Thank you for correcting my presumption.

The price (depending on location) is passable.  The only question is whether that $ 325 is painful or not.   If you have it and it doesn't hurt this month's grocery bill, I'd go for it.  Turn that long trip to pick it up into a mini-vacation/picnic/fishing jaunt and it'll make that part less painful also.

If you love the "sport" of smithing, eventually you will like having a lighter anvil around anyway--even if you eventually get a behemoth.  The big one will eventually come around but this also allows you to wait for the right deal on big.  You no longer have to ponder whether the questionable-quality heavy one is "the one" and can hold out for what you know is right.

Most everybodies logic is hard to argue, taking the plunge agreed to price.  Now just the logistics of going to pick it up.  Thanks everyone for your opinions, will be posting some questions after I do some more research about setting up shop in my shed, wooden structure ☹️

3 hours ago, Latticino said:

Sorry, small waist, large horn and heel always equaled a farriers pattern anvil to me.  Of course it does not have the integral posts (not sure the correct term), dual pritchel holes or clip horn that some modern farriers anvils have, but I still thought it might be classified as one (ref.: http://butlerprofessionalfarrierschool.com/archives/471 ).  In any event, I personally prefer more of the anvil mass to be above the waist of an anvil as I find they work better for me, regardless of the terminology.  Thank you for correcting my presumption.

On those points you're correct but this anvil has a cutting table which shoeing anvils never have. Usually they have a cliphorn instead. They also usually have 2 pritchel holes.

Turning cams are a relatively new thing. They tend to be a solution in search of a problem that any competent horseshoer will have no use for.

Essentially although there are no hard and fast rules I'd say the presence or absence of the table is best indicator of a smithing vis a vis shoeing anvil. I kinda wish combination types were still produced. Some of us like to do both and anvils like that suit us nicely.

George

Unfortunately the seller of this anvil decided he wanted to change the price after we had set a date for pick up, so i decided to let this one go....i do appreciate everybody taking the time to give me some advice.  So, i am on the hunt again...if anyone has any leads in central/south jersey let me know. Thanks

That's pretty bogus, to pull a move like that, but it tends to be the way things work anymore. Years ago, I agreed with the seller on a price for my backhoe/loader. Before I went to pick it up, another guy offered him $2k more, but the seller turned him down. He gave me the guy's number, in case I wanted to flip it for the profit. That was some integrity you don't see too often.

Anyways, keep looking- there's an anvil (or more) with your name on it.

Steve

Never be afraid to walkway from a purchase.  That goes for anvils as well as everything else in life.  If your gut tells you something isn't right, listen to it.  It will keep eating away at you if you don't.

There have been 2 anvils I thought I would like to have.  But when the price didn't feel okay, I walked away and let them go.  I did not regret it on the drives home and I still don't.  By market standards they were fair to average prices and good condition.  They were just more than I felt comfortable paying at the times.  120lb trenton $400; 73lb trenton $300.

Anvils are everywhere just waiting to be found.  Just start asking around.

I wasn't getting a great vibe from the start and that was the nail in the coffin, didn't even let him explain his reasoning.  Will be on the look out and next time don't think I will be settling.

would love to find a 120lb Trenton for $300.