I Forge Iron

I tried to complete my nine star pattern welded cleaver today and had a weld failure, I think its time to bite the bullet and make up my gas forge. I have been having some problems with the flame chemistry making alot of scale and maybe i didnt have the billet hot enough. This is made from crane rail track and bandsaw blade I am very pleased with the way the pattern was developing

WP_20170702_12_58_04_Pro.jpg

WP_20170702_12_58_16_Pro.jpg

WP_20170702_13_36_34_Pro.jpg

The one in the blade can always be made into a "design feature"  It's the ones in the haft that I'd worry about. Possibly an arc weld fix and then not etch the haft section?   Of course I'd use that myself and not sell it or give it to another---I own all of my mistakes and almost none of my triumphs!

I think if I remove all the faults I will still have a usable billet to make a knife out of, The idea of arc welding the handle cracks where they wouldnt be seen has crossed my mind but I still think i will just cut it off thebillet is still about 10mm or 3/8ish thick

11 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Of course I'd use that myself and not sell it or give it to another---I own all of my mistakes and almost none of my triumphs!

That's the way I am, and everybody thinks that my room is filled with the nicest of my work, where it is actually my worst work, well not my worst, that's in the scrap yard. Just last week I made a knife for me, in the two+ years I've been doing this I finally got around to making a knife for me....

Littleblacksmith

I sort of have a piece from around 33 years ago---it was a commission that was never picked up and when I asked my wife what she wanted as a wedding gift from me; she said she wanted that knife; but asked me not to sharpen it so she could show it around without risking an incident 

(I'd do it totally differently now.....)

13 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

That's the way I am, and everybody thinks that my room is filled with the nicest of my work, where it is actually my worst work, well not my worst, that's in the scrap yard. Just last week I made a knife for me, in the two+ years I've been doing this I finally got around to making a knife for me....

Littleblacksmith

Yup that's exactly what my room looks like. A lot of the stuff  I make I give a way for birthdays and stuff like that so my room is filled with the not so good stuff.

45 minutes ago, Dylan Sawicki said:

Yup that's exactly what my room looks like. A lot of the stuff  I make I give a way for birthdays and stuff like that so my room is filled with the not so good stuff.

Yeah, you got all the bad stuff, and nothing good to show people when they ask to see some stuff you made! and then you have, knife handle material, epoxy, tools waiting to be restored, halfway finished projects that probably wont get finished, design plans, and then the usual teenage stuff, dirty clothes, knives, dress boots and work boots, hats, etc., etc.!

or at least that's what my room looks like......

Littleblacksmith

22 minutes ago, littleblacksmith said:

Yeah, you got all the bad stuff, and nothing good to show people when they ask to see some stuff you made! and then you have, knife handle material, epoxy, tools waiting to be restored, halfway finished projects that probably wont get finished, design plans, and then the usual teenage stuff, dirty clothes, knives, dress boots and work boots, hats, etc., etc.!

or at least that's what my room looks like......

Littleblacksmith

I thought you were talking about my room lol! I do have the epoxy, handle material, tools waiting to be finished, and half finished projects. And I have design plans for a friction folder that I want to make soon.

And I am going to make some stuff that I can show people, that I'm going to keep for myself:)

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Start taking "portfolio pictures" *NOW*!

Luckily, I have all the pictures that I post here, and so some of those I will be using as a portfolio pics, I basically take a pic of everything that I sell. Not everything, but most.

The thing is, is that I will make something for me, and then about a month later I don't like it, because I have found every flaw in it, even if I'm the only one who see's e'm!

Littleblacksmith

On 7/3/2017 at 2:13 PM, littleblacksmith said:

The thing is, is that I will make something for me, and then about a month later I don't like it, because I have found every flaw in it, even if I'm the only one who see's e'm!

Don't you hate that. Everything I make, people say "that looks great! How did you do that? Wow! Etc. Etc." But in my head, I'm always thinking "I should have polished it more, that pin is a little off center, that scroll is too tight/that scroll isn't tight enough, it's not perfectly symmetrical, etc." We are our harshest critics, I suppose. 

13 minutes ago, Will W. said:

Don't you hate that. Everything I make, people say "that looks great! How did you do that? Wow! Etc. Etc." But in my head, I'm always thinking "I should have polished it more, that pin is a little off center, that scroll is too tight/that scroll isn't tight enough, it's not perfectly symmetrical, etc." We are our harshest critics, I suppose. 

though its better that it's not the other way around! Though I have had customers like that.....

Littleblacksmith