I Forge Iron

When is scrap not scrap?

I was having a look round our scrap to find a suitable base for a sculpture and found a few old plough shares. They are good bases because they weld easily and are very stable. I noticed that a lot of scrap agricultural stuff has interesting names cast on them. The names add interest to scrap sculpture. These plough shares have the maker's name Newell Sanders and Chattanooga, Tennessee written on them. I like that. And it has to be American with plow spelt like that!

I also found an old grass cutter thing with Oxford Allen on it. Not sure where that's from. There's a corn sheller (perhaps??) and the name cast onto it is No. 3 Globe, made by Smellie & Co. Brisbane. Lovely name. I was reading where the old heritage Smellie & Co factory was converted into luxury apartments, but they had to change the name. No-one wanted to live in the Smellie Apartments.

I reckon these pieces of scrap are definitely worth saving.

Pics:

DSC_7967.JPG

DSC_7968.JPG

DSC_7969.JPG

DSC_7970.JPG

DSC_7971.JPG

DSC_7973.JPG

Around here the agricultural disks get made into cooking implements rather like woks, you can usually find "discos" and their propane heaters for sale at the fleamarkets.

That #3 Globe is so beautiful that there ought to be a way, patina and all, to get it into the house!

6 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

That #3 Globe is so beautiful that there ought to be a way, patina and all, to get it into the house!

Absolutely. I didn't realise how beautiful it was till I stood it up on its legs and brushed it down a bit. It's heading for display, but I'm not sure how to label it. It has notched rollers inside. I'll look up some of the old Smellie & Co catalogues and see if its listed there.

Anyway, I'm pleased the scrappy didn't get it.

Come on Aus, I just finished cleaning up drool! That's a dandy of a scrap pile!

Littleblacksmith

Hi Ausfire,

The smellie is a feed head for a chaff cutter, there was also a flywheel with a couple of blades on it in the left of the first picture. That one looks in good nick so find the rest of the bits, set it up, and you're in the horse feed business!

Andrew

On ‎2‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:40 AM, Farmweld said:

Hi Ausfire,

The smellie is a feed head for a chaff cutter, there was also a flywheel with a couple of blades on it in the left of the first picture. That one looks in good nick so find the rest of the bits, set it up, and you're in the horse feed business!

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I should have known that it is what's left of a chaff cutter because we have a few complete ones around the place.  I guess it ended up in the scrap because it wasn't a complete unit. You have to be careful displaying those things as they are a health hazard. We wire ours so that they cannot be turned, thus avoiding little fingers getting into the workings.