I Forge Iron

Raising hammer from rail anchor

JHCC

This is the second hammer I've made, and the first in my home forge. The stock was a  5"-ish length cut from the end of a rail anchor, so probably 5160 or similar. It struck me that the little nub on the end was already about the right shape for a cross-peen, and I've been thinking about doing more cold work anyway (my son really wants a helmet).

I had a friend over to try his hand at smithing, so I got him to strike for me for the punching, drifting, and fullering, all of which went quite well. 

IMG_2986.JPG

IMG_2992.JPG

IMG_2994.JPG

Not shown are the stamped numbers on the underside, which were on the original anchor. I'm going to leave them there to confuse future archaeologists.

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Generally around 1050 as I recall.

Ah, yes; now that I recall, you'd noted elsewhere:

"From Matt B on Anvilfire 08/08/2007 12:10:21 EDT
"'The current standard for rail anchors is 1040-1060 steel, depending upon manufacturer.'"

Normalized, heated to critical, then water quenched about 3/4" of each end alternately and repeatedly until the center was dark red, then ran both faces to blue on retained heat.  

Looks good John. I like rail clips excellent medium carbon low alloy steel, great when you need springy or high impact in a tool. I pick them up when I can.

Were I a bladesmith guy I'd seriously consider it for things like hawks and san mi or pattern welded type blades. 

Nice job.

Frosty The Lucky.