I Forge Iron

Hammer weights

Pr3ssure

I tell my beginning students to choose the heaviest hammer that they can swing WITH CONTROL for a long period of time.  If you can't control it your mistakes will eat up the time saved by using a heavier hammer *FAST*!

Also too heavy a hammer can lead to blacksmiths elbow and other RSI.  Please don't get real excited about smithing and then mess up your arrn and not be able to do any for *MONTHS* while it heals.

4 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I tell my beginning students to choose the heaviest hammer that they can swing WITH CONTROL for a long period of time.  If you can't control it your mistakes will eat up the time saved by using a heavier hammer *FAST*!

Also too heavy a hammer can lead to blacksmiths elbow and other RSI.  Please don't get real excited about smithing and then mess up your arrn and not be able to do any for *MONTHS* while it heals.

Good advice, thanks

That's a pretty good example of a not dumb question. A person needs to  know what measurements count to be able to gauge thing correctly. 

You know, if you keep asking questions like that and applying the answers you won't be a "noob" for long.

Frosty The Lucky.