I Forge Iron

My 'new' forge

So I recently picked up a 'new' 2nd hand forge.

From what I could see on first hand is that is is quite a good shape, the last owner said that his dad gave it to him brand new a couple of years ago and that he'd wanted to get in to blacksmithing, tried it out and found out it wasn't for him, and he had it sitting in his workshop for a few years and decided to sell it.

I paid 165 euros for it and it works like a dream.

I am extremely happy with my purchase, I practically stole it from him

40b2923b-673f-49c0-904e-92b3e891923b.jpg

07b52a12-1c53-48cc-a2fa-631f1557b3c7.jpg

0e7b414d-81b3-428b-800d-a74dc223662c.jpg

7c78a1b9-2e82-4780-afd0-07183796e594.jpg

10 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Nice. The blower is electrically driven, yes? Is there a speed control on the motor or any other way of adjusting the blast?

yes, it's run on a 400 volt connection, it's a single speed motor but there is an air valve (you can see the small rod in the 3rd picture that is connected to the air valve on the connection between the blower and the hearth sole :) )

I have an electrician coming over on monday or tuesday to run a 400 V output

1 hour ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Great purchase, at today's exchange rate that would be $167.96 US dollars. It should serve you well for decades to come. Over here you couldn't purchase the blower for that amount.

As I said I pratically stole it :D I would have easilly paid 400+ euros for it

Hi Dutch, great buy! ... is that a clinker breaker that turns or just goes up and down? 

you say 400V ... is that your 3 phase supply? I thought you guys had 220v and 380v for single and 3 phase (?)

9 minutes ago, Marc1 said:

Hi Dutch, great buy! ... is that a clinker breaker that turns or just goes up and down? 

you say 400V ... is that your 3 phase supply? I thought you guys had 220v and 380v for single and 3 phase (?)

the clinker breaker goes up and down, so it kind of functions as a clinker breaker but not like the ones you see often in the USA.

In terms of the power, I at home have a 3 phase supply (3x 230V) with already 1 400V output going to my kitchen because I cook electrically, I'm no electrician so don't quote me on this but I think they take an output from the 3 phase and hook them up to a fuse box that will bring it down to 400V. as I said, don't quote me on it, i'm just gonna let the electrician do his work, as long as i'll get my power current.

*Edit*

I also looked on my Kwh meter, there you can often see if you have single phase or 3 phase/power current, it said 3x230 V/ 400V, so I think he just has to hook it up and run the cable to my desired spot. 

5 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Great purchase, at today's exchange rate that would be $167.96 US dollars. It should serve you well for decades to come. Over here you couldn't purchase the blower for that amount.

...or that firepot.