I Forge Iron

New Mig welder

larrynjr

I just got my MIG welder from Northern tools today. I was in the process of assembling it and one of the "ground leads"?? broke off. Looks like a poor soldering job. I plan on calling N.T. tomorrow to see what they will do about it. I'm thinking that if they want me to return it, I'll probably just resolder it myself.

Also the bench grinder w/2" belt sander arrived with a broken grinding wheel.

Kind of disappointing after waiting so long to get this stuff.

5489.attach

5490.attach

5491.attach

Man that's HORRIBLE!! There is nothing worse than anxiously awaiting something that you have worked so hard for, only to have it hit your door step (and the inside of the shipping truck, the loading dock, and anything else that the shipper thought would be fun to bash it into) not only slightly damaged but completely unuseable... Bummer. I hope that Northern Tools does what is right and makes good on the deal by replacing the damaged merchandise, even though nothing will make up for the way that you felt when you first found the damage.. Best of luck, and you'll have to let us know how it pans out so that I know where to shop...

I called N.T.'s today and they are cross shipping a replacement gun assembly and have provided a prepaid return label for UPS. There are 26 reviews of this product on N.T's website and average 4.5 stars out of 5 possible. From inexperienced like myself to very experienced everyone had good things to say about this welder.

So far the service response has been good from them. The grinder was a shipping problem so UPS is handling it.

A well worded email to Northern Tools corporate office can work wonders. (and seems to have already in your case.) Corporate offices really like to take care of customers, when the lower branches of the business fail. It gives them a rush to display their corporate power over the warehouse, customer service, etc.

Ask me how I know.:D

(I never fail to complain when something isn't correct, or damaged when shipped. Everyone works hard for their respective money, and expect to receive what they pay for. I could write volumes about my victories over the last few years, but that would be gloating.)

-aaron c.

By the way, that looks like a nice little MIG. Let us know how it works for you. If that little grinder is the one with the 2 x 27 belt, those may be harder to find, seems like an odd size. Grizzly sells them though from 80 grit to 220 grit pretty reasonable. You might have to do some searching around for that size.

at this point N.T. has that size sander belts, I ordered extra when I ordered the grinder. UPS picked up the grinder last night when they dropped off more of my order. For now I can live without the grinder, I have a grinder now and a smaller 1"x30" belt sander. My hand held band saw should arrive tonight, hopefully that will be in good shape!

Dang Larry, sounds like you are on your way to stocking the shop. New tools are awesome. My wife picked up my new 4 x 6 bandsaw for me today while I was at work. (Sniff!!, Love that woman!:D)

I just wanted you to be able to get replacement belts when needed. A tool like that not in use is a waste. Hope they keep making and stocking them for a long time.

Dang! your racking up ! LOL I got my 4x6 bandsaw in Nov. works wonders. I need to get a porta band for my smithy . Sounds like my luck on ordering stuff. I ordered a 4.5 cheap grinder from hf and it was busted along the plactic casing but they took it back and gave me another one.

• 5 months later...

There is definitely something to be said for buying things from a local dealer who has the knowledge and parts for things, but there are local dealers that are a weakness to. I bought an sp 100 from that orange store and it's a fine welder but I wish I would have looked beyond the price and let someone talk me into one a step up or two.