I Forge Iron

Anyone tried TechShop?

I've seen something like that at Hickham Airforce Base, but its just for military personnel. I sure like the idea of a well outfitted shop available. How do they bill out its time? Is it a flat hourly rate, or does different equipment bill out at different rates? Do they have sliding scale rates like so much per hour, with price breaks on pre-bought packages of x number of hours, or day, week, monthly or annual subscription rates? Very interesting. I could see where it would be great if I needed to do something that I don't have the machinery for, like some milling or something. Keep us posted on how it goes if you use them.

It's 100$ a month plus consumables.
So if you run the gas forge.
You write what the pressure gauge on the tank says at the start and the end and they charge you for the gas.

The 3d printer they charge you for the used plastic.

And you have to pay for a safety training class for many of the tools (30-40$)

Hi. I just took a tour of the Techshop in Menlo Park, CA a few weeks ago. The tour guide was very enthusiastic. The concept has been proved by the pilot and is considered very successful. That is the reason for the expansion. The website is a little out of date. The Marin expansion is on indefinite hold due to personnel reasons. Also, the Menlo Park site will be relocated in the next 18 months to a larger site, since they are bursting at the seams with tools. That place is packed!!!! But, as pointed out above, no power hammer. To tell you the truth, the corporate district that they are currently located in is not really an appropriate location for a power hammer. My smithy is an appropriate location for a power hammer. But not for a Bridgeport mill or a laser engraver.

As for the question about consumables, currently they are provided at no extra charge. When we toured the stockroom, nearly all the hard consumables were from Harbor Freight. If I ever worked in there, I would bring my own grinding disks/belts. It is not worth the inefficiency. Sure, Harbor Freight is cheap, but some of their abrasives are not worth the risk/slowdown. I especially made sure to ask the tour guide about gas. I know how much gas a goofball can blow through in one night. (By experience: I visited another co-op and saw a couple of greedy, inconsiderate, self-important gas hogs blow through $50-100 of gas.) Currently, there is no extra charge. Oddly enough, I did not see any gas hogs during the tour, although they only had one small Lincoln Precision Tig 175 there. Nobody was using it. There was one fellow using the Oxy-Ac torch, but the wasn't a hog.

I do not have a problem with the $40 (used to be $30) that they charge for the "lessons". This is more like certification, since you cannot learn much aluminum TIG in one hour with a bunch of other classmates. You will learn what the switches mean and how to grind a tung.

All in all, I believe that the Techshop is a great idea. At the urging of a fellow blacksmith, I once signed up for a co-op like this, since he said that it would "round out" my metalworking skills. It was a wonderful experience and a great deal, and I met some truly rotten people who I would never want to see again. I also decided that I do not want to be well-rounded. I want to be a better blacksmith. And I have a really long way to go still.

you can reserve the tools for how ever many days in advance you have prepaid your membership in months.

a 12 month membership is 12 days out

But if nobody is on the tool you just have to play nice with others and not hog any one tool.

I'll post a review once it opens and I take the tour.

For some one off tool fabrications it seems like a great deal.

An online aquaintance of mine is a member and loves it. Where else can you have access to a couple million worth of equipment for $100 a month? You should see the laser cut christmas gifts he made.

Too bad I live someplace unlikely to ever have a Techshop.

On the other hand, moose hang out in my yard, the Goshawks nest out back and I can target shoot off my back porch.

Frosty

Too bad I live someplace unlikely to ever have a Techshop. On the other hand, moose hang out in my yard, the Goshawks nest out back and I can target shoot off my back porch.

I like that target shooting of the porch feature. I doubt there'll be one here either. Of course our 365 day a year shorts and t-shirt weather is not too bad. But I sure would like access to all that stuff!

Hey, I wear shorts and a "T" shirt 365 a year too. It's just under all the other stuff I have to wear. :rolleyes:

Ha, ha, ha...what a hoot! I'm gunna print that photo out and blow it up for a poster. Do you drive that front end loader in that 'to-die-for' foot wear? What a crack up. Great pic Rusty. Thanks for sharing one that isn't you snoozen under the old apple tree.

I rent the equipment when working for myself, that's early stage on my shop foundation.

The mukluks are the wife's and you betcha they're to die for. Warm feet are worth their weight in gold when it counts. And having the wife's feet warm enough to not complain is worth significantly more. :cool:

This pic is from 2,000 or so.

Frosty

5498.attach

Hey Frosty, You and your foot wear. Can you believe I dreamed about the d_mn things last night? I believe I asked you something like, "I suppose those are your wife's too?" Looks like I better less time on this forum, if I'm dreaming about it too! Anyway, that's a mighty funny looking horse you got! And what happened to all you hair. We'll want to hear more about your shop, but you better start another thread for that before we get in trouble for hijacking this one. But then, hey maybe you could sell monthly subscriptions, I mean to your shop, not your footwear collection! -Phil

Don't worry Phil, lots of people dream about Alaska, maybe not the footwear but . . .

I posted that shot because I figured you might not believe I went bearfooted. Living in the middle of the Pacific has to effect your perception.

I lost the bi-level (mullet) before I knew what a mullet was actually. Then a few years ago my wife's best friend developed cancer and we all buzzed our heads in support. She was given maybe 3 months and passed last sept after fighting the good fight for over 3 years. I got my first haircut in more than 3 years last tue.

That's not an Alaskan horse, it's the single largest determining factor in how large a freezer an Alaskan buys. Of course if you like halibut fishing you'll need another, maybe two if you like caribou and another if you like blackbear. . . Uh, Alaskans tend to have quite a few freezers, even some of the city slickers.

Beautiful day for the start of the Iditarod, around 15f and sunny. This is the ceremonial start, the real start will be tomorrow in Willow, about 25 miles up the highway from us. The Official Site of the Iditarod