I Forge Iron

Help to ID 248 pound HB anvil

Hello I'm new here and need help identifying an anvil. From doing some home work it seems to be a forged steel as it has a nice ring and good bounce. I don't believe there is a top plate welded on either. Some one put some weld over what looks to be some stamping and the stamping I can see I have no idea. I emailed a guy from how forge and he said this is an awesome site that may help me. I do have pictures that I will send also. Thank you for any help

IMG_2726.JPG

IMG_2727.JPG

IMG_2728.JPG

IMG_2729.JPG

IMG_2730.JPG

IMG_2731.JPG

IMG_2732.JPG

Thank you for the reply. Can you tell what the stamping is supposed to be ,maybe the year and what would be a good price to pay for it. Sorry I got so excited that someone knows about this anvil I forgot some information on it. The anvil weighs 248 lbs the face is 5" x 19.25" it's 12" tall and 32" from tip of horn to I think it's called the heel

First the "tells"  The big one is the Brooklyn NY stamp which is characteristic of Hay Budden as is the hourglass indentation on the bottom (though this is also seen on some other anvils, early Trentons for example)

Check the front foot (horn end) for a serial number. Postman has an approximate list of serials and dates in his book "Anvils in America"  If the serial number is occluded then there are several indicators of general age like welded on face, monolithic top, style of stamping, etc. But I'll let the experts weigh in on those.

To suggest a price we need a good clear shot of the face, otherwise it's like asking the price of a used car without letting us know if the engine works...  What is that colour change near the front of the face???

Anyway I'd say between US$2 and US$5 a pound; If the stampings were undamaged and the face is *clean* perhaps US$6 As Ohio is an anvil rich state, I'd trend toward the low end; but anvils prices have been soaring lately probably due to those television shows.

A good price is whatever YOU are willing to spend on an incredible anvil in incredible condition. It is a post-1908 plateless Hay Budden.

It would have read: 

Hay Budden 

manufacturing

Brooklyn NY

The front foot has the serial number, not the date, but we can give the approximate year if you can tell us the serial number.

Hello thanks for the information. The color change is probably due to the fact that I took the pictures when I started to clean the anvil up. There was some paint on it plus it had rust and something else I don't know what it was. I will attach more pics since it is cleaned up pretty good now. Still want to do more but it's not to bad. There looks to be a 2 under the manufacture name I'm thinking is the weight. There is also a mark on the waist that looks like a c on its side. On the front foot I can make out what looks to be a 9 but that's all I can tell. Thank you guys for all the help. I paid 200 for the anvil. 

IMG_2735.JPG

IMG_2736.JPG

IMG_2737.JPG

IMG_2738.JPG

IMG_2739.JPG

Thanks I thought it was a good deal. I offered 250 but he insisted 200 as it was his step dads who passed a few years ago and he wanted to give the money to his mom. I appreciate all the help I'm glad I was pointed in the direction of this forum. In your opinion do you think I should grind off the three numbers or whatever it is someone welded on where the makers mark is. Thanks for the help

Welcome aboard Welder guy, glad to have you. That is a beautiful anvil in outstanding condition, good shop size. Anvils in the 250lb range are very popular shop anvils. I'm almost beginning to think Iforge should have a Welder xxx group so many are subbed to the forum. On the other hand just calling folk Welder saves me having to remember names. 

NO grinding on the face or horn, PLEASE! What little texture the face has will smooth right out with the application of hot steel and a hammer. 

That is a SWEET DEAL! Be sure to make the seller and his Mom something nice on it. Garden tools, fire tools, coat hooks, etc. All good beginner projects and nice gifts. That's what I did with a LOT of my beginning projects.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hey thanks I've been welding 33 years now. Strictly TIG the past 15 mostly stainless and monel. I definitely will not be grinding on face or horn just don't like the sketchy stick welded numbers on the side. But want to be extremely careful to not take away any more of the manufacture marks. Thanks for the suggestion on the gifts. I for sure wanted to do something nice for them

Lots of: welders, fabricators, pipe fitters, high iron, boiler makers, pressure vessel, etc. folk hang in the gang. We be everywhere! :ph34r:

It's pretty common to see the sides of anvils marred up, testing chisels, punches, etc. on them was common. I'll bet those are ID marks welded on it. At least nobody "repaired or restored" the face. You see a LOT of anvils ruined by being "restored" by folk who have no idea how to use one. 

It's just like everywhere, the guy who does't know how to run a bead just HAS to adjust or even "fix" the welder. There was a guy I used to work with who was always screwing with the alignment on the little machine lathe in the shop because HE didn't know how to operate it. He took a college extension course so he was an expert. 

I think you're going to fit right in here, it doesn't matter what you do for a paycheck you'll find folk from all around the world who do it too.

Know any good jokes, like puns?

Frosty The Lucky.

I bought a PW anvil from a 65 yo guy who at age 15 hid the anvil in the parents garage on behalf of an "old guy" friend of the family, that asked him to get rid of the anvil. 

After parents passed away, still liviing in the same house,  the owner put an add on gumtree and I bought it off him. i had to ask more than usual to get the story and noticed the guy was not very happy that I was loading the anvil on the back of my 4wd. 

The funnies part is that the anvil has a name and surname welded on the side of it. Who knows what the real story is.

I also thought in grinding the name off the anvil, but changed my mind. The name will stay put. Part of the story I guess. :)

As far as price, at $200, it is a good price even if it was a vulcan ... what am I saying, even if it was made in China. 

That anvil would be worth $2000 here give or take. 

44 minutes ago, Marc1 said:

I bought a PW anvil from a 65 yo guy who at age 15 hid the anvil in the parents garage on behalf of an "old guy" friend of the family, that asked him to get rid of the anvil. 

After parents passed away, still liviing in the same house,  the owner put an add on gumtree and I bought it off him. i had to ask more than usual to get the story and noticed the guy was not very happy that I was loading the anvil on the back of my 4wd. 

The funnies part is that the anvil has a name and surname welded on the side of it. Who knows what the real story is.

I also thought in grinding the name off the anvil, but changed my mind. The name will stay put. Part of the story I guess. :)

As far as price, at $200, it is a good price even if it was a vulcan ... what am I saying, even if it was made in China. 

That anvil would be worth $2000 here give or take. 

Thanks for sharing your story. I will leave the welds on there. Everyone here has been so helpful and I really do appreciate all the responses