I Forge Iron

Majestic forge 2 burner knife forge

Cole Eisenbath

I just received the Majestic Forge 2 burner knife forge. I was under the impression that it could get to forge wielding temperature, but I have not been able to even get the metal up to yellow. Is there any way I could mod this forge be able to weld with it? If anyone has some advice or a solution that would be greatly appreciated. 

-Cole Eisenbath 

What pressure are you running it at? I have the three burner forge and was having similar issues. I lost the instruction sheet that came with it (if anyone can send me a copy I'd appreciate it) so I'm not sure, but I don't think it was very clear about what pressure you need it to be to forge weld. I haven't tried yet because of the fuel consumption but I think I wasn't running it nearly high enough. I run mine around 10-15 psi and i don't think it would weld at that temperature. 

The commercial products are Metricote, Plistix and ITC-100.  Many of us brew up a combination of kaolin and zircopax for pretty much the same result at  lower cost.  You won't find any of these at Lowes or Home Depot - try Axner or Wayne Coe or High Temp Tools to name three off the top of my head.