I Forge Iron

has anyone made a metal scribe?

My son was home on leave to get married. He left to go back to Anchorage about four hours ago. While he was home he wanted to fire up the forge. I had a cross to finish and then he wanted to play. I had a commercial overhead door spring about 5/16. He is a machinist and we made up a couple of scribes. Worked out very well.
Jerry

My son was home on leave to get married. He left to go back to Anchorage about four hours ago. While he was home he wanted to fire up the forge. I had a cross to finish and then he wanted to play. I had a commercial overhead door spring about 5/16. He is a machinist and we made up a couple of scribes. Worked out very well.
Jerry

Jerry:

I live about an hour north of Anchorage (assuming you mean Anchorage AK) and we are organizing a blacksmith's association. If your son would like to get in touch with blacksmiths in the area please put us in touch.

Oh yeah, scribes. Spring, old drill bit, allen wrench, etc. no forging necessary unless you want to, grind the point, heat treat and it's good to go.

Scribes make excellent beginner's tool steel projects. I have them draw a long flat taper on one end, fold it over and shape it for a pocket clip. A forged point and maybe twist for grip, heat treat (spring temper on the pocket clip) and grind sharp. Nice project.

Frosty

I forget where I saw this, I used an 8inch piece of 1/4 inch brazing rod and pointed it on the belt grinder. Does a nice golden fine line on steel. Works great.

Oooh, good idea Stretch and it slips so nicely into my little mental tool kit. :cool:

I have a bunch of "silver streak" pencils for steel and a small bunch of "red streak" pencils for aluminum I picked up for a couple bucks at a 2nd. hand store a number of years ago.

While they're handy they're no replacement for a good scribe and now my brass marker.

Nothing makes me happier than scoring a good idea.

Thanks for sharing that one.

Frosty

My main scribe was a worn out phillips screwdriver that I ground to a point. Good for fine lines in in poor mans layout dye (sharpie marker) held like a pencil or two handed gouging through rust and crud. Ground it slow and kept it cool, don't think I re-hardened. Had this same one for 12-15 yrs, touch it up on the belt grinder once in a blue moon.

Gonna have to sharpen up some brazing rod though, sounds handy.

Overhead door spring works nicely. Straighten, forge and sharpen on the belt. Heat and water quench. Attempt to cut glass ( and break the very tip off). Re-grind to steep tip and still cuts glass. I welded 2 of these onto some forged dividers I built. Cheap "O " ring pic sets that you see in junk tool bins don't work too bad. I have a scribe in the drawer that I have had for 35 years. The aluminium handle used to unscrew and move on the shaft but been long time ago. go to auto parts store today and ask for scribe. More than likely will get the "HUH " ?

Scribes make excellent beginner's tool steel projects. I have them draw a long flat taper on one end, fold it over and shape it for a pocket clip. A forged point and maybe twist for grip, heat treat (spring temper on the pocket clip) and grind sharp. Nice project.

Frosty, I like the sound of your scribe project. Do you do anything to cover the point / protect the pocket. What kind of metal and dimensions? Thanks, Phil

A piece of cork or small dia plastic tubing, etc. makes a good pocket protector.

1/4" dia is about optimum but I tied it into having the kids scrounge something other than mild for the project so diameters varied.

The overall length I had them aim for was about the same as a pen but they had to figure out what to start with. It made for some interesting sizes.

The clip needed to be the same width as the stock and thin enough to have a nice spring to it. It needed enough barrel to be easily held and a point long enough to look nice. Everything was estimated as part of the exercise.

As I recall starting with around 6" of 1/4" rd. was about right. The larger the stock the less length you needed to make the clip. A forged point won't need as much length.

Frosty