I Forge Iron

Pinecone Handles and stacked antler

cedarghost

On 5/13/2017 at 10:00 PM, JHCC said:

Great lines, but the dings in the brass are making me cringe. 

I agree. Still a way to go and still learning something with each one. This was the first stacked type handle I have done. On the next one I will tape up the guard REALLY well. Trying to regrind and polish the guard after the handle was done was a big challenge for me. Also could've have clamped a little tighter but I misplaced my 12" bar clamp and didn't realize it until I needed it. Next time, everything gets laid out and ready to rock before I start gluing it together. Thanks for the honest feedback. Always appreciated. 

On 5/13/2017 at 10:13 PM, Johnnyreb338 said:

I find them delightful and very cool. That dirty white goes well with the pine cone. Nice grind lines as well.  Mabey 1 day I'll own a grinder and can make work like this.    I'm a fan 

I built a 2 x 72 and it made a BIG difference over my Harbor Freight grinder. That and experience. I wish I could have cleaned up the spine a little better on the pine cone knife. I finished with CA glue and guess I didn't have it as clean as I thought before I started putting the glue on.  Another lesson learned.

On 5/13/2017 at 11:13 PM, TheoRockNazz said:

Great work, and of course I am a sucker for making your own handle material haha

Thanks Theo. That means a lot coming from you. Still a long way to go on fit and finish. I run into things every single knife that I haven't ran into before and learn a little at a time. The epoxy cleanup still stresses me out with every blade!  :lol:

22 hours ago, lanternnate said:

Looks like you've made some big strides forward on your grinds. The pine cone handle one particularly has some very flowing smooth grind lines.

Much appreciated. The 2 x 72 helps a lot along with the bubble jig.  That and just grinding every spare minute I get.