I Forge Iron

Hand Tool ID

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nevada pattern sledges, smaller one handed ones used with a steel (drill) for drilling powder holes in mines were called single jacks, larger ones with longer handles were called double jacks, one man held the steel resting on one shoulder with a bit sticking back and the other man struck it with the double jack, they alternated positions. The steel or drill was rotated after each strike a bit.

The man with the sledge was the "driver" and the man holding the drill steel was called the "shaker."

It wasn't because he was scared of being hit it's because he had to give the steel a good shake to get it to turn.

Of course I could well have that one wrong too. I spent 19 years drilling and it's old driller lore, I didn't look it up.

Frosty

• 1 month later...

Ok, I said I wouldn't post anymore in this thread, but I'm going to anyway.

We had a discussion about a cat's head hammer early in the thread. Well, I have found the proper name of this hammer, thanks to a reprint of an old Sear's and Roebuck catalog I was reading recently.

According to that catalog, the hammer is a farrier's turning hammer, Chicago pattern. So now we know the real name.:D

I'm still gonna call it a cat's head though, as I have seen so many people refer to them as that!;)

-aaron c.

I agree with Dan- the head on the far right is a bodymans' or sheetmetallers' hammer. Probably an older design from back in the days when they hand-formed replacement or even whole panels. The bulbous side would be used to rough form (over a dent in an tree stump) and then the flat side, with the help of a dolly, would smooth the newly formed shape.

Panelbeaters do somewhat less hand forming like that, so modern body hammers tend to have two different flats.

But in any case, I very much doubt it's a blacksmiths flatter.

Doc.

Yeah but you'd have to take your money or trade goods with you; adjusting for inflation $100 in 1934 dollars is/was about $1500 in 2008 dollars... and that's just 1934!

EDIT:
Actually inflation may not have happened 1908-34. When did your Federal Bank abandon the Gold Standard?

The combination cross pein/ straight pein to the right which is leaning on the flatter looks to be exactly the same as one I have. I bought it at a flea market last year for $2 from a man who told me it was his personal government issue chipping hammer when he was in the U.S. Navy.
The old saying "at loose ends" is a nautical term from the days of tall ships (those which had sails). When a sailor was not otherwise occupied with his regular duties he invariably found himself to be ordered "at loose ends", mending the miles of hemp rope aboard those ships which was a never ending task.
The old sailor I bought this hammer from told me much the same was his experience, when not at regular duties a sailor aboard a more modern ship would find himself chipping rust, another such never ending task.
From the gobs of dried haze gray paint on the handle I believe his yarn, plus having been a young Marine stationed at Pearl Harbor I saw daily firsthand the swabbies were always chipping and painting their ships. Dan:)