I Forge Iron

Gas forge choices

Pa.Dutchman

I am looking to buy a propane fired forge. Was thinking about NC's Whisper Baby (single burner) or the Whisper Momma (two burner). The unit will be used for small stuff and heat treatment of lock parts. I do not intend to get into forge welding. I build muzzleloading rifles and wish to make my own locks from time to time. Pluss other odds and ends. Just looking for some expierience based observations on these units. BJH

I use a twin burner Swan gas forge I had made some years ago before they became a standard item.

Quite frankly a single burner would do the jobs I use it for quite adequately, (Collaring, scrolling forging up to 3/4" square) and save on fuel too.

Any larger or longer heats and I will use either the coke forge, or if wanting to produce long heats, a triple burner set up I put together when I need it. Heats 6 @ 3/4" square bars to a yellow heat for a 34inch length of heat.

Whichever is suitable for the job in hand.

I say build your own. All you need is a piece of well piping and a smaller pipe to feed the air and propane, some copper pipe for the propane line, a small fan (hair dryer) and some firebricks and kaowool, inswool, etc. This is how they do it where I've taken all my blacksmith lessons and he forge welds from it too. Mine is built on the same design, and I think I paid less than $50 for the whole thing. The biggest expense being the kaowool and firebricks.

5446.attach

5454.attach

If you can cut steel and do a little welding, you can easily build a small propane forge. This one has a 6" cylinder for a body, some channel iron to hold a firebrick on the each end, one inch of Kaowool, half soft brick for floor over that wool and an 1/2" aspirated burner with a needle valve for fine adjustment. It works GREAT for small projects.

And it fits on a shelf when you aren't using it. If you use quick connects for your propane, be sure they are suitable (nurile).

5449.attach

I've got a whisper baby and 2 home made propane forges. The whisper baby is a LOT of forge for it's size, and it's the most frugal forge I've ever used, i can run 12+ hours on a 20lb grill tank.

If you just want to buy a small portable forge that doesn't need power or anything and that you can just pick up in one hand, grab a tank in the other, and go, a whisper baby is a lot of bang for the buck. Is it less expensive to make your own? sure! but for some of us , time is money and the time saved in buying pre-made is worth the money =)

I built my gas forge with parts sourced from CJ products (Jay Hayes) he sells full kits and seperate supplies as well. there is info about his kits on the ABA Website. he attends quite a few hammer-ins in WV and some in PA (Rices Landing is coming up) so you might be able to talk about it in person.

Mine is an 18 guage sheet metal tube I rolled up lined with kaowool and one 3/4" burner. I'll try to get some pictures soon. its still unfinished as of now but I have fired it up a couple times and its amazing.