I Forge Iron

Hello from Mid-Ohio

Hey Everyone,

My name is Wes and I am new to the forums. Background is limited to basic welding like trailer frames, projects, and repairs. I have not gotten the chance to do any metalsmithing at all. I am changing that! I am wanting to mostly get into bladesmithing but want to be able to do other work like fireplace guards and fire pit racks for cooking. 

I have space to setup for work, I just don't have the tools and the knowledge. I have been looking for classes around my area and the only metalsmithing class I have found is a couple hours away from home. I am hoping to get into a class depending on the limited availability they offer them.

I am hoping to get some guidance here and also hopefully find some local folks that I might be able to learn from.

I also need to start buying tools and start getting the basics together!

We used to have a Mid Ohio Blacksmithing group AKA the MOB that started as a carpool to the SOFA meetings and grew into it's own group.  Unfortunately last I heard it dissipated after I left the Area.  Adlai Stein teaches smithing at the Idea Foundry in Columbus OH, you might ask him about local folks.  He hosts a bladesmithing Hammer in every year too

On 5/9/2017 at 3:36 PM, JHCC said:

IFI member SReynolds is in the Mansfield area. Your closest ABANA (Artist-Blacksmith's Association of North America) affiliate is probably SOFA (Southern Ohio Forge and Anvil); their website is www.sofablacksmiths.org.

I have contacted SOFA and they are working organizing new classes.  Their scheduled classes are over for the this part of the year and they are waiting to see if they have enough interest.  They told me to keep an eye on their Facebook page for updates, so that is what I am doing there.

11 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

We used to have a Mid Ohio Blacksmithing group AKA the MOB that started as a carpool to the SOFA meetings and grew into it's own group.  Unfortunately last I heard it dissipated after I left the Area.  Adlai Stein teaches smithing at the Idea Foundry in Columbus OH, you might ask him about local folks.  He hosts a bladesmithing Hammer in every year too

I will have to find Idea Foundry.  I live in Springfield, but work over in Canal Winchester so I am in Columbus everyday.  I did find another foundry down just South of Lancaster.  They are talking about having some classes in the next couple of months.  They have some this month but I have too much going on this month to make it.

Thanks for the info and help everyone!