I Forge Iron

Possibly A Vulcan ?

It is possible, but it is not showing any trademark like the vulcan anvils have. And they have an indistinguishable trade mark anybody can see. Nothing but a 70 cast into the center of front foot.

Any better guesses than the Vulcan? It has some rebound @ 50/60% with an impromptu test with my 1/2" ball bearing. It bounces a small ball-pein nice.

I intend to use it primarily as a conversation piece.  Quoted 200.00 located in North East Ohio USA

20170506_115555.jpg

20170506_115624.jpg

20170506_115538.jpg

20170506_115518.jpg

I have seen some of those that look like a Vulcan, but have no trademark. My best guess is a different brand, but made essentially the same way. I would never spend that much on a cheap 70 pounder, but I also wouldn't consider that price outrageous considering the going rate these days.

what sucks is other than the heel being completely gone it looks to be in good shape, but i can't bring myself to spend $325 on 2/3 of a #120 anvil.  I am just starting out and I'm looking at trying to find a piece of RR track to start with unless i can find something at a decent price that i can afford, but all i can find in my area at the moment is things like this or a #125 HB that the guy want $700 for, which i a bit out on my price range at the moment.

I think I'm a bit out of touch then when it comes to retail prices SReynolds :D

Rboughton3rd, if you know any (fairly) local warehouses or builders merchants it's always worth asking if they have any spare steel from reach or counterbalance trucks. My day job is in a warehouse and they literally throw out high-reach truck wheels when the rubber is spent; they make great forges or cut into pieces they make jig sets for punching or bending.

The fork time is harder to come by as its usually sent off for repair, but it makes for a cracking starter anvil

plenty of forklifts but I have not found anyone so far that is willing to part with a broken fork. most of the breaks i have seen have been close to the tip so are easily ground down reused on another forklift. I was thinking of the RR track to start as well as a mild steel striking anvil which would also give me a hardy hole to work with and they don't generally have a large price tag on them the way hardened anvils do.  I have brother who is also interested in starting blacksmithing as a hobby and the striking anvil would come in handy given that we could help each other make some of the tools needed to start without killing each other with shrapnel.

Looks like 70#s of 100% ASO. Vulcans have a thin face plate, not that big bogus cast top. Expensive and ugly door stop. It would make a better anchor, you wouldn't have to look at it when it was water. 

Sorry if that is harsh. Heck I'm ugly, and my wife still loves me. 

N.N.F.                       Beautiful,  Manchester,  Michigan. USA 

Small Vulcan anvils do tend to look like this. I'm not sure why they look so obvious when they are smaller, it might be that they use the same thickness on the tiddlers as they do on full size forging anvils. From what I remember they are cast iron bases rather than wrought so they tend to be very quiet; easily mistaken for ASOs. The one I own had been damaged in a fire so for all intents It's an anchor.

19 hours ago, NoName said:

Looks like 70#s of 100% ASO. Vulcans have a thin face plate, not that big bogus cast top. Expensive and ugly door stop. It would make a better anchor, you wouldn't have to look at it when it was water. 

Sorry if that is harsh. Heck I'm ugly, and my wife still loves me. 

N.N.F.                       Beautiful,  Manchester,  Michigan. USA 

Actually lots of Vulcans and Fishers have the bogus casting line. Not saying it couldn't be an ASO. I've seen a Vulcan shaped anvil with no logo that did have a thin faceplate.