I Forge Iron

Picked up 2K+ lbs of wrought iron today

I brought home ~23 sections of 5' x 4' wrought iron fencing today. Each section was easily 100lb so we were definitely over the 1Ton mark.

Don't think I've loaded her down like this before

20170408_093207.thumb.jpg.5025159cb8b3f0eb2236dde1a52ff0d0.jpg

We (myself, son, nephew and seller) hand loaded it,  so was happy to have the tractor to unload it

20170408_114052.thumb.jpg.e9ae1b53a1130b4a9dfcbcdc15ba9e2e.jpg

There are a couple of sections which are in good fence condition which we'll probably use our sell as they are. Some of it is in not so pristine shape and is destined for the forge.

20170408_142955.thumb.jpg.ef13ff44c800e10c479a30d4af7592c3.jpg

I tested it beforehand and it truly is the good stuff (vs steel reproduction)

20170406_190956.thumb.jpg.7c2221567b455095f9fc94c84ba78bf7.jpg

There is about 20' of 1 1/2" square, 5' of 2" square (heavy!) and an immeasurable amount of 3/4" and 5/8" round.

Down the road (once skill is improved) I think it would be cool to make an old school iron short sword and try to caseharden it.

For now it's just an addition to 'the pile'

I have never been best friends with wrought iron, so I would be happy to swap it for mild. I do like your JD loader though. I could do some damage with that on my place.:)

35 minutes ago, Wroughton said:

Are the finials forged or cast iron?

I've not dissected one yet, but I do know they are not one piece with the posts.

Actually looking at the construction of this yesterday had me wonder how one would go about constructing one of these big sections...more reading in my future it seems :)

23 minutes ago, Jackdawg said:

Check what you can get for it before dismantling any of the less pristine pieces.

Yeah a similar amount of fencing (albeit repaired and powder coated) was listed yesterday for $6K locally.

I had hoped just to cover our costs (couple of hundred) but repairing it a bit as a forge project could be interesting. More skill needed before that though!

10 hours ago, Wroughton said:

Are the finials forged or cast iron?

They are cast it turns out. I looks like they were shrunk onto the ends of the posts.

Presumably you would do that by heating the finials and hammering in the cold posts and letting the finials shrink on tight?