I Forge Iron

Hello from Maryland (Eastern Shore)

Eli Taylor

I've been interested and dabbled with Smithing for years, however when my 13yo recently got interested I decided to do something about it :)

We're still in the 'kitting up' stage and preparing shop.

Recently picked up a Post Vice (which cleaned up nicely) and we are going tomorrow to pick up ~100' of Wrought Iron fence for use as stock (contains Square, Round and Flat stock)

20170325_174359.thumb.jpg.16449c5522b3406637fa94038b92186c.jpg

20170406_190956.thumb.jpg.6802538a83acde2c31f1150c6a83a8a4.jpg

We're cleaning up the inumerable old tools I've had over the years and getting them ready for use...MANY more drifts, punches, chisels and files where that came from....lots of cleaning in our future!

20170406_193858.thumb.jpg.c63918ca5ac1e76b2fe8f05b289aad63.jpg

James cleaning the surface of the work table

20170406_191423.thumb.jpg.fbfcf4cd1edf0af217d34a7b845a5baa.jpg

We've also identified the area that we want to put the forge once we clean the barn. We're going to go old-school and go with a coal-fired forge powered by a great bellows (we're making ourselves) and starting by working in Wrought Iron.

20170406_193356.thumb.jpg.4ed74aea6a3dec01c46c14366638a794.jpg

Just wanted to pop in and say hi. Not sure how much posting we'll do, but were making a go of it

Welcome aboard! Good for you, getting the young 'un involved early.

Quick pointer: please put your location in your profile settings; it helps if you ask a question that may be affected by regional variation. 

Hey Eli, Welcom to IFI.  Where abouts on the eastern shore are you? I am over in DE, and there are a couple of good groups in our area if you hadn't already heard.  Mid-Atlantic Smiths Association (MASA) and the Blacksmith's Guild of Central Maryland (BGCM).

Welcome! As everyone else is saying, it's good to see more young folk joining in.

One suggestion. Personally, I recommend starting out with mild steel instead of wrought iron. Wrought iron forge welds very easily, but it is a LOT more "touchy" than mild steel. I'd learn basic skills on steel, and save the WI for when it is needed. Great score, though, whatever you end up doing with it.

On 4/7/2017 at 4:24 PM, CMS3900 said:

Hey Eli, Welcom to IFI.  Where abouts on the eastern shore are you?

Were just outside of Centreville in MD. I know of a couple of guys in the area but haven't signed on with any of the groups yet. We typically have little time (always tons of projects going on our small farm) so I'very been hesitant to get involved with a group just to be a missing-member :/

On 4/7/2017 at 4:58 PM, C-1ToolSteel said:

Personally, I recommend starting out with mild steel instead of wrought iron. Wrought iron forge welds very easily, but it is a LOT more "touchy" than mild steel.

You're the second to recommend this recently and we do have a plethora of steel waiting to be repurposed as well.  I guess part of smithing for us is a bit of a historical venture to do it 'the way they used to' so my mind goes to wrought iron but when you hear the same advise repeated twice in as many days...it's worth listening to :)

Thanks

The groups around us are a pretty laid back good group of people.  There are a few good shows and events each year I try to get to, but its pretty much participate as much as you want.  BGCM's Blacksmith Days are great, May 20 & 21, 2017 in Westminster, MD.  Tuckahoe's steam and gas show 7/6 to 7/9, and their blacksmith day 9/10 in Easton, MD. BGCM and Matt Harris Metalsmith Studio usually have a event in the fall Octoberish in Perryville, MD.  The newsletters usually have great information in them too.