I Forge Iron

How to forge a 2 Tine roasting fork

I have been in the process of making a bunch of "How To" videos on stuff I find interesting to make and also videos I'd want to watch..  The videos are picture in picture and usually there is a 2D version and a 3D version for people who have a 3D tv or VR Headset..  I don't have a VR head set so don't know if they play/work or not.. 

I can tell you some people on MAC computers have a hard time with the 3D videos.. Not sure why, but they can play the 2D ones just fine.. 

The cameras are 3D cameras and designed for regular day light.. Some of the video will be grainy but it's still winter here and there is no lights in the shop other than day light when it's nice enough.. Also you may notice ice in the water tub that is frozen.. The shop has no electric..  Who needs it anyway..  

Please leave feedback, good, bad,  what ever.. 

Here's the link

https://youtu.be/dCJ_CXXIRRQ

I can't view it on you tube due to it not accepting my email acount, well I could but I refuse to fill in a form everytime I visit, Fortunately you provided an exact title so firefox delivered anyway.

I have to say straight up I found it a very enoyable and informative video, The last piece I forged was a toasting fork from square stock, nice to see other sections used and the processes required. Most noticable was the lack of any music that so many seem to find indespensible, I prefer not to listen to other peoples choice of music and much enjoyed hearing the hammer blows, there is a lot of information to be had from the "original sound track".

Critisism: You're too finicky for your own good! Mostly efficient hammerwork as far as I could see but you seemed to follow it up with lots of adjustment, only to re-adust it back to more or less where you started, I don't see it as a skill defecit, probably more a habit??? It was most evident in your return to the forks, finish that end and be done with it before starting the other end, returning later is a waste of heat, time and effort. I suspect you could make the same item to the same standard in almost half the tme, and their lies your profit.

On the whole, in my opinion, a very good video of the forging of a very nice fork.

My thanks.

9 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I can't view it on you tube due to it not accepting my email acount, well I could but I refuse to fill in a form everytime I visit, Fortunately you provided an exact title so firefox delivered anyway.

I have to say straight up I found it a very enoyable and informative video, The last piece I forged was a toasting fork from square stock, nice to see other sections used and the processes required. Most noticable was the lack of any music that so many seem to find indespensible, I prefer not to listen to other peoples choice of music and much enjoyed hearing the hammer blows, there is a lot of information to be had from the "original sound track".

Critisism: You're too finicky for your own good! Mostly efficient hammerwork as far as I could see but you seemed to follow it up with lots of adjustment, only to re-adust it back to more or less where you started, I don't see it as a skill defecit, probably more a habit??? It was most evident in your return to the forks, finish that end and be done with it before starting the other end, returning later is a waste of heat, time and effort. I suspect you could make the same item to the same standard in almost half the tme, and their lies your profit.

On the whole, in my opinion, a very good video of the forging of a very nice fork.

My thanks.

9 hours ago, Smoggy said:

My thanks.

Thanks.. Please keep in mind these are "How to's"  not production runs.. 

These videos I hope are for someone who is just starting out or for reference..    It's okay to be finicky and to take your time to make things just right,, to change things so they look good to your eye though they would be perfectly acceptable to someone else. 

Also to strive for a nearly finished product when done forging, so you don't have to spend so much time cleaning something up.. It was nothing to clean up and if you look at the last part of the video you can see as the fork sat on the anvil it actually had a patina from heat still left in it..  I believe the old adage is " 5minutes at the forge is 1hr at the bench"..  or something like that.. 

I charge by the hour so taking the extra time just means it cost more to purchase and so I make more profit. ;) 

8 hours ago, TwistedCustoms said:

Well done. The picture in picture is very informative. Your work is top notch but as far as instructional videos go the picture in picture showing the same hammer blows from different angles is awesome!

Thanks...   I really like the PIP also..  

Your videos are really good - probably the best. One feature I appreciate a lot is your texts. I hate trying to figure out what a guy is mumbling into camera most of the time. Some of the video makers seem to be more interested in showing their unshaven faces than showing the smithing action. Thank you very much for an excellent work.

The quality of the 2D video looks excellent. The 3D one on my Mac laptop plays two side by side images in Safari but in Chrome puts them both together with the colour halo. The 2D option of the 3D version in Chrome does not appear as sharp and clear as the 2D version.

One thing I did with the three prong toast forks I used to make, was to pre-forge the taper of the tines before splitting. Do the bulk of it in one piece and then all that was needed was to just regularise and chamfer the tines afterwards. I found it was easier and quicker to forge in one piece, and with fewer heats once split, there was less risk of burning the tips...though I found you could still burn them if you tried hard enough! :)

Different starting and finishing points of course. I was forging from Ø16mm (Ø5/8") and leaving a 3D knop at the root of the tines. The tines of course came out of a much shorter section of parent bar, so needed much more drawing out.

Have you ever tried that?

Alan

p.s. Added this to the you tube feed back, as requested.

• 2 weeks later...

First post here just to say I think the video was very informative, helpful and well done. I agree the picture in a picture is very helpful as is the text.  When I get a little further along with forging this will be one of my first projects.  Thanks. (By the way, I appreciate the constant tweaking to get it "just right" to your eye. I'm a bit of a perfectionist myself!)

On 4/5/2017 at 3:07 AM, gote said:

Your videos are really good - probably the best. One feature I appreciate a lot is your texts. I hate trying to figure out what a guy is mumbling into camera most of the time. Some of the video makers seem to be more interested in showing their unshaven faces than showing the smithing action. Thank you very much for an excellent work.

Thanks for the high praise.. It really helps to get feedback.. I hope to continue on this path and continue to offer content which is helpful..  Again, thanks for the feedback.. My appreciated.. 

On 4/5/2017 at 4:56 AM, Alan Evans said:

The quality of the 2D video looks excellent. The 3D one on my Mac laptop plays two side by side images in Safari but in Chrome puts them both together with the colour halo. The 2D option of the 3D version in Chrome does not appear as sharp and clear as the 2D version.

One thing I did with the three prong toast forks I used to make, was to pre-forge the taper of the tines before splitting. Do the bulk of it in one piece and then all that was needed was to just regularise and chamfer the tines afterwards. I found it was easier and quicker to forge in one piece, and with fewer heats once split, there was less risk of burning the tips...though I found you could still burn them if you tried hard enough! :)

Different starting and finishing points of course. I was forging from Ø16mm (Ø5/8") and leaving a 3D knop at the root of the tines. The tines of course came out of a much shorter section of parent bar, so needed much more drawing out.

Have you ever tried that?

Alan

p.s. Added this to the you tube feed back, as requested.

Thanks for the follow up here and on the video..  The straight 2D is slightly cleaner..   Unless you have a true 3D TV then it's pretty amazing to watch the 3D action..  One factor which I have noticed is I like to watch the 2D version not the Youtube 3D converted to 2D as you mentioned as it does take out some of the details..   The side by side format is for 3D tvs and VR gear and offers the best quality..  

3 hours ago, WNC Goater said:

First post here just to say I think the video was very informative, helpful and well done. I agree the picture in a picture is very helpful as is the text.  When I get a little further along with forging this will be one of my first projects.  Thanks. (By the way, I appreciate the constant tweaking to get it "just right" to your eye. I'm a bit of a perfectionist myself!)

There are a few of the videos all " How To's"    some are a little bit more time consuming.. There is one on S hooks, and nail making but you need a Nail header for the nails.. There is a video on that also but it's pretty labor intensive just starting out..   Mind you if you watch the video a time or 2 all the information is there on getting to a working product. 

Thanks.. :)