I Forge Iron

Newbie to Blacksmithing

turkeyman

Hello all...I am excited to be a new member of the "I Forge Iron" community.  I am a newer than a newbie to all this...so I will be perusing the forums for answers to questions I may have.  I just bought an old riveter's forge with a Champion hand crank blower and a Vulcan anvil.  Hopefully I can start burning up some metal soon and start learning.  I will be attempting to make a few knives for personal use...and maybe some to give away to friends and family.  A local knife maker took me under his wing and helped me make my first knife.  After that, I was hooked!  I am trying to read and study everything I can get my hands on.  Thanks for having this community!  Glad to be a part of it.

Welcome aboard, glad to have another young Turk in the gang. Reading before asking is good on a number of counts but we like to talk just because too. We LOVE pics, anything you'd show your young daughter is welcome: work, shop, tools, finds, landscapes, kids, pets, weird critters in the shop. Most anything.

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, turkeyman said:

Thanks Frosty!  Gobble gobble gobble!!!  I'll start firing things up and burning up some metal after turkey season here in KY.  In the mean time, I'll read and read...as to not upset the curmudgeons.  

What'll we do then? Have you even contemplated the dire situation an unemployed curmudgeon faces?

I haven't seen a wild turkey since I left California but never hunted them. Closest I ever got I was taking a nap against a perfect pillow of a shaded root under a live oak and was awakened by a turkey trying to eat the buttons off my shirt. Wringing an easily grabbed neck might sound tempting but I was surrounded, one was even standing on the root over my head. So, while one standing almost in my right arm pit pecked and plucked at buttons I opened my eyes and the one standing over my face looked at the motion and I found myself looking eye to eye with a turkey maybe 6" from my eye.

Did you know turkeys can have curious expressions? The thing that was most in my mind just then was, "is this turkey curious about my eye being good to eat?" A deep fast breath served to spook them off without getting me pecked. They moved off a few yards stopped and watched me while I sat up. I didn't try to eat them so they decided to go back to eating and we shared the shade of that old oak tree for some time.

Great day, great memory.

Frosty The Lucky.

Great story Frosty. A friend of mine once found a wild turkey hung up in a hog wire fence. He thought it was dead so he put it in the cab of his truck and headed home. After going a short distance the turkey revived and proceeded to beat the living daylights out of him with it's wings and feet. Hearing Bill (nicknamed Kong) tell about it was so funny, I sure miss that guy and his turkey hunting stories.

Yup you sure want to be *SURE* that anything you load into your truck is really dead!  Once I did a fast load after a demo and dumped the firepot into the steel bucket I had used as a quench tank and had dumped so as to not make a mess with the ashes, coal and coke, (the bucket was a black steel one bigger than a 5 gallon one).   Well I had thought the fire was dead but as I was trucking down the road I happened to glance in my rearview mirror and the side of the bucket was *glowing*!

Fast stop on the side of the road and that bucket didn't go back on the truck till it had enough water in it to cover the top of the pile in it. I've heard another tale much the same only that smith's truck got burned up.

Note that first statement does not apply to passengers or the driver...

I was once driving down the highway when a wild turkey rocketed in front of the car, startling me so badly I drove off the road and flipped my car. 

Every time I tell this story, someone inevitably says something like "What kind of Wild Turkey was it?" and makes bottle-tipping motions.