I Forge Iron

First set of fullers giving me fits!

cedarghost

Best looking blade so far as finish. Far from perfect but my best so far. 

I have now learned I should have finished the fullers before polishing he blade!

the only thing I can think of to finish them out is to make a jig that will only allow me to go to a certain depth and no deeper, then use  a dremel to clear the channel.

Ive seen the grooving tools on here, and they look like the easiest option, but I don't think I could make one.

Here's what I've cut so far and the red line is where I need to cut to in order to make it even.

any suggestions sure are welcome!

on a good note, my new forge with the Frosty burner gets hot enough to melt brass in less than ten minutes! I melted some brass and outed into a styrofoam form in sand to make a brass bolster guard!

IMG_2259.JPG

IMG_2260.JPG

Strikes me that if you are intending forging blades with such features, then you will need to be able to clean them up and polish them.....so you may as well make the appropriate tools for this project and be done. A single point cutting tool suitable for chasing a fuller is not that difficult to make, you're a bladesmith yes?

Oh, and nice looking blade, I particularly like the proportions.

10 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Sens are not that hard to make; but a lot of work can be done with silicon carbide paper wrapped around a dowel.  (It just takes forever and is an excellent lesson as to why you want to do it as well as possible during the hot phase!)

Yes! Lesson learned. My biggest mistake here was that I left too much meat on the spine and didn't go deep enough with the fullers. So when I started grinding to finish, one of the fullers all but disappeared and had to be recut. 

Live and learn!

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Strikes me that if you are intending forging blades with such features, then you will need to be able to clean them up and polish them.....so you may as well make the appropriate tools for this project and be done. A single point cutting tool suitable for chasing a fuller is not that difficult to make, you're a bladesmith yes?

Oh, and nice looking blade, I particularly like the proportions.

Agreed. This is an opportunity to create and refine a setup.. 

I wouldn't call myself a bladesmith just yet but I am working on it. I found some interesting designs online that I think I can manage and I have an idea for a smaller spring fuller that I am going to forge this weekend that should be more suitable for smaller blades like this.

Thanks for the compliment on the blade design. My 12 year old designed it himself and I helped him refine it.