I Forge Iron

Welding 18/8 Stainless Steel

Good Morning, 

I want to make some Individual survival Kits that are about the size of the Individual First Aid Kits (IFAK) that are in use currently by the DoD. The size would be around 7 to 10 inches long by 3+ inches tall by 4+ inches wide. I am looking to take small steam tray pans (7x4x4.5) and cut them down to take off the lip that hangs on the steam table and some type of latch. The goal of the container is to have a storage box that can be worn on a belt that can double as a pot to cook or (more importantly) boil water if needed. 

My current kit uses a stainless steel water bottle but the size of the mouth and neck on the bottle limits what you can put in the kit. These kits try to provide a way to bring the 3 items I see as mandatory for any short term situation where to are one your own away from help. I use the rule or 3 as my guide.

You can survive for 3 Minutes without air (oxygen) or in icy water. You can survive for 3 Hours without shelter in a harsh environment (unless in icy water) You can survive for 3 Days without water (if sheltered from a harsh environment) You can survive for 3 Weeks without food (if you have water and shelter).

So back to the question, I have a 110 and a 220 buzz box and a flux core welder to work with as well as a small O/A kit. Would I be better off using stainless steel rivets or welding to modify these containers?  

CMS3900,

Thank you for the advice but sadly I don't have access to a TIG welder. I should have said the rivets I was thinking about were pop-rivets. If you were on the spot what would be the least worst for flux core or stick. The steel is VERY thin around 25 gauge. The pop rivets would be near the top of the pot so the did leak it would be around 1/4 to  3/8 inch from the water line when used to boil water  

thanks 

If I were in a jam I would take some of the steel to your local welding store, tell them what equipment your running and they might be able to suggest a small stick rod or some other process for the application that fits the equipment you have.  Just let them know the end product needs to be food-grade.

CMS and Biggun, 

thanks for the advice and I will take it to the local shop and ask them about it. There is an autoshop on the Army Post where I work (as a contractor) that might have TIG equipment and someone to help with the weld.