I Forge Iron

Turning metal wheels for a grinder

I'm hoping that someone can give me some helpful advice here. I'm at a point in my belt grinder build where I need to fit my drive wheel and tension wheel but I need to make them first. I plan to cast them and them shape them as I've heard of people doing in the past. However I never saw mention of the tooling used to do it other than turning the drive wheel on the motor shaft itself. I don't want to try doing this and end up throwing a chisel into my foot, face, etc. and that's why I ask here knowing we have some experienced people. If there are any suggestions, or perhaps someone has done this themselves, please help me out. I am more at a loss then usual when trying something for the first time and don't want this to be the last thing I attempt.

I saw several of the large enclosed cnc cabinets but didn't see a lathe. I haven't seen the whole shop so it might've been tucked away in a different area. I need to go talk to them about another project anyway so I might see what they'll charge me. Truth is my shop budget is maxed for a while and I may just have to keep waiting before I can finish this build if I can't do it myself. 

Im not discounting your suggestions, I do appreciate your input. 

For a tapered tracking wheel - and especially wheels with recessed bearings, I'd save your money (and probably a lot of time and frustration) and go straight to Ebay when you have enough saved up. Honestly, Ebay has some very reasonable prices and choices for wheels - aluminum or composites ( I also saw a new seller in Poland that makes solid white nylon wheels that look interesting). I've had some issues with some different wheels - and it's very frustrating - spend 20$ buy one.

Good decision Michael. It'd be different if you were a machinist even if you had to enroll in a college extension course to have access to a lathe. They're not that touchy a project but you need to do it right or it's a waste of time. I gave it a lot of thought, I have a lathe and years of schooling but a set of wheels didn't cost much. We just installed and shimmed them to be in line. WAY too easy.

I thought of other alternatives like buying replacement rubber caster wheels with sealed bearings but I didn't want to end up with a bunch of rubber caster wheels I couldn't use. Turning rubber on a lathe is a REAL trick, -100f isn't cold enough to make it very easy.

Frosty The Lucky.