I Forge Iron

Negative Space?

The term "negative space" sounds like the interior of a blacksmith shop. (grin)

There are many definitions I am sure, but for this discussion, what is negative space in a artistic context, and can it be used in the design of blacksmithing projects? Do you or have you used negative space?

Interesting subject,
First let us look at an example in art; Henry Moore, was often called a master in negative space, he used this as a narrative in his timeless sculptures.
Photo 1
Photo 2

he had a keen understanding of how to create an image, using only the hidden parts of it.
In a way using negative space is like making a picture by building the frame.. but then doing it in such a way that you stimulate the viewers imagination in such a way that he sees the picture you wanted to show, witch often is more an emotional or intellectual concept than a visual image.
as blacksmits we could use this concept to our advantage in various ways, it gives us an entire new level of forms to play with.
some more good examples of negative space
Photo 3
Photo 4
the last one is less abstract and more to the figurative side..

5386.attach

5387.attach

5388.attach

5389.attach

Negative Space....to me...

I am in now way an artist or consider myself as someone who can understand the motives of a lot of artwork out there. That being said....here is how I think of negative space.

For a while I was really into photography and actually worked at a photolab at Winn-Dixie in high school. I would sometimes run several hundred photos a night and would see them as the original negative and as the actual photo. To me...the two were completely different to me. It was cool to see the negative images compared to the actual and what seemed to be left out of each.

I sometimes see the same thing in iron work today. It has already been said the open space in a scroll, or the hollow spaces in sculpture, etc...

For me the most important part of negative space is its role in symmetry. Having one equal or compliment the other. There is nothing worse than seeing two scrolls on a piece that are not identical...

just how I see it..

Peyton

I'd add something but I like my mother in law.

So, I guess much to my dismay I'll actually contribute to the thread in an on topic manner. The following URL is to a friend's site, specifically his Palm Desert sculpture. Heath is getting better and better all the time. check out some of his Denver Zoo sculptures, not negative space but cool.

Heath Satow Sculpture

Frosty

My definition is similar to rlarkin's; except it applies to computer users (known as "L.users") who refuse to use their brains when it comes to computer usage. I had someone who needed a laptop connected to a projector today, tell me; "I need something connected to something." ?????????????? HEL-LO! could you be more specific!

I had someone who needed a laptop connected to a projector today, tell me; "I need something connected to something." ?????????????? HEL-LO! could you be more specific!

Reminds me of the engineers I used to work with. They'd ask me to build something and when I started taking measurements and making drawings would ask if I, "couldn't just get some steel and weld it together."

Bridge engineers at that!

Negative space indeed. They were best represented by the gaping hole they left in reality any time they stepped away from their desks.

Frosty

My smithing mentor ( you don't mind if i return to smithing :-) pointed out that when making scrolls if you look only at the negative space as you are hammering, your scroll will turn out much more even. It improved my scrolls in minutes.

Funny you mentioned this. I was having a similar discussion with someone(MRobb) this past weekend. It's a method that I've used for the past few years, and it does help. Stumbled on the method while forging some other elements(besides scrolls).
bill

Funny you mentioned this. I was having a similar discussion with someone(MRobb) this past weekend. It's a method that I've used for the past few years, and it does help. Stumbled on the method while forging some other elements(besides scrolls).
bill

Andy Morris, my mentor studied for a year with Francis Whitaker who apprenticed, in turn, atSamuel Yellin's shop, I just kind of figg'ed that he had it on good authority:rolleyes:.