I Forge Iron

Anvil choices

Hi, folks,   I'm new to this type of stuff. I was wondering if anyone could guide me in the right direction as far as brand names of some really good anvils and what type they should be to make some knives. I'd like a very good quality anvil, but don't know anything about them. I figure that is the first major thing that I should purchase. I have looked at some plans for a homemade forge to heat the metal and I'm beginning to gather the material for that. I have several good hammers and some tongs already, so I guess the next step is the anvil. I'm not going to do this professionally, but I'd still like a good anvil.   Thanks,   Lew

New, or used?

Used I would say Fisher because they are quiet.

New, a bladesmith friend of mine borrowed my 125# JHM Journeyman, and mentioned that he liked it. There are quite a few new anvils that would fit the bill. You would just have to determine your budget, and what features are important to you.

A simple block of steel will work for blades, it doesn't have to be a London pattern anvil.

C-1 mentioned "Arm & Hammer".  Just a side note that Vulcan and Arm & Hammer have an almost identical logo.  Vulcan's are cast iron and the logo generally protrudes from the surface and was done in casting where Arm & Hammer logos are incised/stamped *into* the surface.  By knowing that, you can tell the difference immediately even if most of the logo is missing.

Vulcan's were cheap---and because of that are quite common to see.  I'd guess that (at least in this area) probably 80% of anvils that schools and farmers bought were Vulcan due to the lower cost and easy availability.  They are usable but not a great anvil.  Sellers often want great-anvil prices for them and sometimes don't understand the difference.  Some sellers list them wrongly as "Arm & Hammer" simply because that's what the logo looks like.

Just a head's-up on that issue.

A lot of sellers don't know anything about anvils and are quite willing to sell you a corvair anvil for a BMW price. (And will often get quite irate if you try to point out to them that they are offering lowest tier of "real" anvils at top tier prices.  I've had them tell me that they don't  need to know anything about what they are selling and misrepresenting their offerings is NOT their problem. If I ever win the lottery I might fund a law school group to help enforce the truth in advertising laws...)

I don't think your question was completely answered. C-1 did point out the best of the anvils made from the past. There are some new anvils that worthy of looking at and they range from the ductil anvils like JHM to old world anvils that are imported, the American anvils; Rathole, Rhino, Nimbas to the really high end Refflinghaus. Alny of those will work for making knives just depends on your money situation. 

Were those Australian dollars?  What kind of an anvil do you need?  For good answers you need to provide DETAILS!

Here in the USA I have been able to buy great anvils, my 515# Fisher in mint condition was US$350; but that was because I went out and FOUND them and so got great deals on them rather than paying a lot more buying them from people trying to make a profit from selling them.