I Forge Iron

Split tongs for forge welding.

Iron Poet

I made these specifically for welding small stock such as 1/8" to 1/4" and also sheet metal, the tines are rather springy so that you can clap both pieces rather well. You more or less just heat the metal up and then when you're ready you simply hammer between the tines.

I am also aware that these are not very pretty.

DSCF4076.JPG

DSCF4077.JPG

DSCF4079.JPG

You don't, these are just for picking the pieces up. IF you have difficulty you might need to reposition the pieces with a different pair of tongs for easier grabbing. It's better than trying to separately handle material by yourself, I can tell you that much.

How do they work? I'm thinking a similar set up with much thicker bits, say 1/4" x 1/2" or wider on edge with half rounds  or V notches to hold the stock would let you place them cold and heat the tongs too without worrying about them getting soft. Small stock will heat to welding temp faster than the heavier bits. 

They'd also help keep the project stock hot longer so a person wouldn't have to rush to the anvil as fast.

Just thinking.  Frosty The Lucky.