I Forge Iron

Champion Blower I. D.

jayco

Where can I find information on Champion blowers(especially handcrank)
I'm curious about model numbers mainly.I did some surfing and searching and came up empty handed.
I have two of the old things and have no idea what models they are.
I need pictures, or at least drawings if possible.
James

Jayco, Hmmm... I'm guessing maybe a look-see into the U.S. patent office may bring some enlightenment. I have a couple of 400's and the gear housings are covered with patent numbers cast in.
This could lead to drawings, etc.
Just now heading out the door but I will post those numbers here later tonight. Dan:)

O.K. Jayco, I'm back home and I got the numbers. Here is what is cast into the body of a Champion 400 blower...

CHAMPION
BLOWER & FORGE CO.
LANCASTER, PA.
U.S.A.
PATENT NOS
PATENTED
APRIL 15 1902,
JUNE 11 AND JULY 30 1901

Hope this helps...Dan:)

Jayco,

I have a reproduction copy of a 1909 Champion catalog that has blowers in it. I could scan some pages and email them to you, if you want, for reference. Just PM me your email address if interested.

could ya email them to me also? I bought a blower from Richard

Jayco,
There USED to be either a Champion or Buffalo catalog on Gogglebooks. I know I have it downloaded at home, but can't remember off the top of my head which one it is. If it's the champion catalog I'll send it along this weekend when I get a chance. If it's not, I'll send it along anyway cause it's full of all manner of neat things. I just checked googlebooks and can't seem to find it again, but it seems they've lost alot recently (over copyright issues???) anybody know what's going on with that?
-Aaron @ the SCF

blower22.jpg

blower11.jpg

Hopefully these posted. I will post more as I get time in the gallery. James, I couldn't get them small enough to email with my slow as heck dialup. Sorry.

Everyone else, there ya go! Click on them, they are bigger in the gallery.

Here's another I just scanned.

blower31.jpg

And the last one for tonight...

blowers4.jpg

Some of these will enlarge in the gallery, just click the photo once there. Enjoy.

If you google 'Champion Blower catalog on cd' you can go to a website where you can purchase the entire catalog on CD Rom. I bought a copy for reference material years ago when the Canadian dollar wasn't doing too well and I still believe it is worth every penny. (I am unsure if mentioning the website would be too bold.)
Good luck

Hammerkid,

I've looked all through my 1909 catalog, can't find a single blower like that one. My guess is that it's a later manufactured blower, probably for a portable forge, judging by the orientation of the gearbox, and position of the mounting bracket. Keep looking, you'll find it's vintage. I'll keep an eye out for anything I can find like it by Champion.

That one looks like the little Buffalo Bufco blowers that are on ebay a lot, just a Champion brand, which leads me to think it's for a portable setup. The little Bufco's weigh very little compared to a shop style blower.

-keykeeper (the other aaron!)

Hammerkid,

I've looked all through my 1909 catalog, can't find a single blower like that one. My guess is that it's a later manufactured blower, probably for a portable forge, judging by the orientation of the gearbox, and position of the mounting bracket. Keep looking, you'll find it's vintage. I'll keep an eye out for anything I can find like it by Champion.

That one looks like the little Buffalo Bufco blowers that are on ebay a lot, just a Champion brand, which leads me to think it's for a portable setup. The little Bufco's weigh very little compared to a shop style blower.

-keykeeper (the other aaron!)

Ok thanks!!!! I got this old bufco ! My great- Grandpa`s Buffalo Blower (for coal forge) - Blacksmith Photo Gallery
hope to clean it up soon

This 'Champion blower I.D." thing has been more difficult than I thought it would. WOW!

Though I don't have any catalogs or any other reference materials for Champion blowers, here are a couple guesses.

Remember these are GUESSES, and might turn out to be wrong.

Hammerkid, I think the red Champion blower you have is like my smaller one. I,m guessing they made the same blower in a 'legless' version for smaller 'rivet' type forges and also a freestanding version(like mine) on a 3 legged stand. As near as I can tell, the fan and gearbox is the same.
They just changed the FAN housing to create two different models.

I remember seeing one other like mine.......I think Tryin-it has one. I will ask what he knows about them.

I still don't know what model we're talking about yet, but maybe that info will come.
All this 'not knowing' just makes me all the more curious.........this is like a detective's case!

Thanks to all who have helped on this thread......didn't mean to cause a lot of research and hard work!

Here's some pics of 'the mystery blower',.......these pics aren't that good and the old machine needs a good cleaning.......maybe some red paint?
James

5372.attach

5373.attach

Jayco,

I think you are on to something there, changing the housing would make it appear different, even if the innards are the same.

I would surmise that over the several years of manufacturing different blowers, slight changes were made in appearance, but alot of the mechanicals stayed the same.

The search goes on.....

aaron c.

• 1 year later...