I Forge Iron

Bow Tie Camp Hatchet

Just finished this one up, still need to cut leather for it. I like doing this folded style, and my goal was to try to forge the langets pointed this time instead of rounded. I've been really working towards teaching myself this style where the eye is forged with alternating fullers. Rowan Taylor has a great video about it on his YouTube channel on forging an Anglo Saxon axe. I think James Austin had a piece in the Hammer's Blow a year ago or so about this style. I'd like to get to where I can forge larger pieces this way. Has anyone tried the asymmetrical wrapped eye technique? If so, what are your thoughts? That's next on my list. 

Mild and 5160, forged from 8.25in of mild. Ash handle. Heat treat at 440F for 1.5 hours. 

received_10154246601400905.jpeg

received_10154246601900905.jpeg

received_10154246602250905.jpeg

22 hours ago, BOB T said:

Also a good article on small axe in the Hammer`s Blow (summer 2014) by Gerald Boggs..

Bob, that's the one I was referring to! Had the wrong smith :) Thanks for the kind words! 

On 1/19/2017 at 10:54 AM, ThomasPowers said:

Lovely!  Swaging in a bit of copper pipe in the thong hold would dress it up a bit more.

TP, how'd you know I forged this while wearing my thong?! 

Just kidding, I love that idea and I may try to do that. Think I should flare the ends like flare tubing or make it flush and epoxy it/wood glue? 

TMI Benton, TMI!  Now what I would do is to source tubing that's a tight, force fit, and then chamfer the edges of the hole in the wood a bit and then press the tube in and flare the ends to fit the chamfer and just line up with the surface or a hair under.  Wouldn't hurt to put a little epoxy in the sides of the hole before setting the tube either.