I Forge Iron

A large unidentified anvil - 500lbs approx

This is my first anvil,  possibly a bit bigger than I need but it was local.  I'm interested in identifying it,  it looks like a Peter Wright but then again so do many others.  It certainly works well whatever it is,  rings like a bell,  weighs approx 506lbs, so I'm well pleased and looking forward to some more projects.

There are no easily visible stamps on it,  apart from some punched initials,  probably a former owner.  It has the handling holes I have seen on pictures of PWs,  and what I can only describe as "ripples" on the sides and horn - I've tried to photograph them.

The total length is 34 1/4",  width 6 1/4" and height 14".

If anyone can tell me a bit about how these anvils were manufactured I'd be very interested,  I read somewhere that the factories were built by rivers so that the red-hot anvils could be dropped into the waters.  Is this true ?DSCN1098_zps54mhgi4v.jpgDSCN1106_zps49f6rfjp.jpgDSCN1105_zpslyyuf8h4.jpgDSCN1104_zpsm3kbsydc.jpg

Anvil mills were built by rivers for a couple of reasons.  First, waterwheels would power everything from the furnace blowers to the trip hammers to the grindstones. Second, Yes: water would be used for quenching. However, you don't quench an anvil  by dumping it in a river; you need a large volume of water moving rapidly over the surface to break the steam jacket (see "leidenfrost effect"). To that end, manufacturers would build large reservoirs that could dump out a lot of water very quickly. The hot anvil would be placed beneath, the valve would be opened, and gravity would do its work. 

9 hours ago, Catweazle said:

If anyone can tell me a bit about how these anvils were manufactured I'd be very interested,  I read somewhere that the factories were built by rivers so that the red-hot anvils could be dropped into the waters.  Is this true?

Nope. The were just heated face down on a normal forge until they got tired of sitting and watching it, then they would lower it down into a small pipe full of motor oil using a forklift. Then they would jump out of the fork lift and have at it with their fire extinguishers to keep the flames from catching their car on fire!

Just a joke realated to a previous post.:)

3 hours ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

Nope. The were just heated face down on a normal forge until they got tired of sitting and watching it, then they would lower it down into a small pipe full of motor oil using a forklift. Then they would jump out of the fork lift and have at it with their fire extinguishers to keep the flames from catching their car on fire!

Just a joke realated to a previous post.:)

Did they use waterwheels to power the forklift ?

I'm joking of course - I found that video when researching anvils,  I was expecting the oil to boil over and set the car park alight.

6 hours ago, Tubalcain2 said:

it's strange that it doesn't have a step. other than that i would guess PW.

It does look like a PW,  but I can't see any stamps on it,  so I wonder if it's a copy from a less famous maker.  Not that it really matters,  it's a keeper,  I don't imagine I'll ever need a bigger one for my amateur metal beating efforts.

I'd like to see the anvil /  hammer they made it on,  that must have been huge with a big waterwheel to power it,  or perhaps steam.

1 hour ago, Catweazle said:

Is it worth cutting the steel stand off and mounting it to a stump ?  Or am I overcomplicating things when I should just get on and mangle some hot metal ?

Depends on its height, does it fit you? I have found its best to just start making things, you can get so wrapped up in tools and setup you don"t move forward. Congrats on a nice anvil find.

5 minutes ago, marcusb said:

Depends on its height, does it fit you? I have found its best to just start making things, you can get so wrapped up in tools and setup you don"t move forward. Congrats on a nice anvil find.

You're right,  I've made that mistake before.  I'll bend some metal and see how I get on with it.

Thanks all,  I'm off to find some project ideas.  1st up will probably be some tongs.

2 hours ago, Catweazle said:

Is it worth cutting the steel stand off and mounting it to a stump ?  Or am I overcomplicating things when I should just get on and mangle some hot metal ?

Having recently switched from wooden stump to steel stand, I would say NO. As long as it's solidly made and at a good height, leave it as is and get to work!