I Forge Iron

Hello from Oklahoma

VikingSmith

Welcome; Charles is from OK and will probably chime in here soon...

We suggest folks put their general location in their profile so it shows up under their name as so many smithing questions end up having a location factor in them.

I hope you have looked up the OK ABANA affiliate, http://www.saltforkcraftsmen.org/   good folks and it's handy to have other smiths to learn from 1 on 1.

For bladesmithing there is the ABS school in Texarkana that's not as far as it is for some other folks (American Bladesmith Society)

What part of the the state you in? I'm down in Bradley (about 50 miles due south of OKC). I would second contacting the Saltfork Craftsmen. Monthly meetings in each state region (if you don't mind the drive, they are staggerd so as to have one every weekend). No need to join to just check out a meeting, but for access to the coal piles it's a good investment.  

• 5 months later...

Hello, I will be joining OkAbana in the morning.  I'm hoping you guys are still around, so holler if you are.  I would really like to learn what I can from people in my area instead of learning bad habits on my own.  I am as new as you can get.  I am just now gathering parts to make my first forge and have no tools yet, but, when I get my mind on a mission, I will get it all going.  I hope you meet you guys and everyone else I can.

Welcome aboard guys, glad to have you! I don't know if two guys in the same town introducing themselves on the same day has happened on Iforge before. Could be wrong but it's the first time I've seen it happen. 

Cool, VERY cool.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty, I haven't been here but a couple of days, but, you already have my respect as I have been reading much of what you've written.  I will probably tug on your coat-tails once I learn enough to half-way ask a decent question, but, I'm a long ways from there yet, lol.

Viking Smith

I live in the Lawton area. (near Sterling Oklahoma) I am a member of the Saltfork Craftsmen. If you wish to communicate, P.M. me with your contact info and perhaps we can get something worked out! The next meeting (May 27th) will be over at Foss Ok. As Charles said, you don't have to be a member to attend a meeting! Be careful what you ask though, you may get covered up with all the information you receive!