I Forge Iron

How do you earn your living?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just now read this thread and it is great. So will add my own vision of me.[not what the rest of the world sees] Former carpenter, operator, iron worker[rebar and red iron], contractor, sawmill operator, logger and farmer. Currently restaurant/bar owner and recycler of metal. Have a yard full of old toys that I have salvaged and manage to keep something else for my retirement every week. Will soon be 59 and should be debt free in 10 years if I live that long. I will look for stuff till the day I die.

1. Retired after 30 years w/ USDA administering farm programs in 1999.
2. In the real estate rental property business as owner of houses, duplexes and apts. since 1982.
3. Operate full time (translation... about 6 hours / day) blacksmith shop in downtown historical area of Paris, TX, primarily doing commission work. Staircases, railings, doors, furniture. Trying to get away from the small items and focus on larger items that bring larger prices. Owned the shop for 5 years, open to the public for about 18 months.

James Allcorn
Bois D'Arc Forge Blacksmith Shop
Historic Downtown
Paris, Texas USA

Inside every LEO there is a another person that just didnt score high enough on the civil service test to be a paramedic. :P just kiddin guys, if I wasnt so fat and lazy I'd probably be a cop instead of a medic, thanks for watchin our backs.

By trade(s) I am a certified Agricultural Mechanic (spent many years at a New Holland dealer) and Commercial Transport Mechanic (Kenworth). I still average 35-40 hours a week Blacksmithing. The mechanic side of my life keeps a roof over our heads and food on the table, while the Blacksmithing side supports itself plus provides money for extras (holidays, etc.).