I Forge Iron

Ideas on what to do with industrial power hammer anvil?

Got offered to pick this piece up for 100 bucks. Thinking about what i may do with it.

Get it resurfaced by the neighbour machine shop and use it as an anvil?

Flip it upside down, harden the big square surface at the bottom and use that as an anvil?

Flip it on the side and use it as an anvil? (most tempting)

its about 200lbs is my guess. 

I figure it has come out of an industrial power hammer of some sorts ... ad calls it an "anvilhammer" whatever that means, seller has no knowledge of its previous use.

Any ideas? think its a good idea or should i just spend 4 times more on the anvil in the back? 

ps. i need an anvil

Use it as it stands, maybe with a little cleanup of the top. Keep the wide end down for stability, and do NOT turn it on its side (unless you mean to turn it on its long edge, which could be interesting. Remember (and this is discussed at length elsewhere in the forum), you want the greatest mass directly below your hammer blow; spreading out the mass over a larger area defeats the purpose.

I see that this is your first post in IFI. Welcome! A few pointers:

1. Put your location in your profile settings. You might be surprised how many other smiths are in your area or how some questions of resource availability are affected by your geographic location. Go to Settings to change this.

2. Respect the old-timers. The self-proclaimed curmudgeons of IFI are some of the most generous folks you will ever meet, ready to help anyone and everyone who asks, BUT have little to no patience with people who won't take advice or who expect to have everything handed to them on a silver platter. This leads me to my next point:

3. DO YOUR RESEARCH. I cannot emphasize this one enough. IFI has a huge amount of information scattered through its hundreds of discussions, and just about every question you can think of has already been addressed. If you have a question, go looking for the answer -- you'll pick up a lot of other good information on the way, and if you can't find the information you need, you will at very least be able to ask a better-informed question.

3a. Pro tip #1: When doing your research, don't bother with the Search box up at the top of the page; it's pretty worthless. Go to google and include "iforgeiron" as one of your search terms. 

3b. Pro tip #2: Take some time to familiarize yourself with the sections and subsections of the forum. Even if you don't read everything right away, it's good to know what's out there and where to find it.

3c. Pro tip #3: A change in the forum software a few years back led to the loss of most of the photos in many of the older threads. Read the threads anyway, and try to puzzle out from the comments what people are talking about. It's frustrating, but there's still a lot of good material; it's also a good mental exercise. Blacksmithing can make you smart.

4. Go to the "Introduce yourself" section and let us know who you are, how you got into smithing, what kind of work you do, etc, etc. 

Bonus tip: When using the "Quote" feature, it's a good idea to edit out of the quote everything except what you're commenting on or asking about. Also, make sure to delete all images from the quote, unless there's something extremely specific that you need the image to ask about. Pictures take up a lot of bandwidth, and it's a courtesy to Glenn (forum owner and curmudgeon emeritus) to keep that to a minimum.