I Forge Iron

Question about a torch

I didn't know where else to ask this, so I'm sorry if I should have posted it somewhere else. I'm in the process in getting my forge up and running I'm finding the need for a torch. I'm an iron worker so I've used cheap torches, and I've used nice ones. So I don't want to just buy a cheap torch, ive seen some bad ones wear out in a week or two. I've always liked victors, but spending that much is hard when there are other quality brands out there. So I was mostly wondering if anyone had any experience/suggestions as far as torches go. I'd rather learn from someone else's mistakes.  I'd primarily use it for cutting, and maybe starting my forge up. Thanks for any advice 

If all you're doing is cutting and maybe some heating I recommend oxy propane but NOT one of the conversion tips like you see Victor selling. Those HOG oxy because they're not designed to run on propane. Check out the Harris oxy propane torch sets, you'll choke at the price for a set but it'll pay for itself a few times over before you go through your first 20lbs. of propane.

I've been running an All States oxy propane torch but the company lost interest in selling or servicing their torches so I can't recommend them anymore. However Harris was the manufacturer of the All States rig and they let the patent go so Harris is marketing the same torch under their brand. Don't think you can buy the handle and tips and get performance these rigs are designed from the regulators to the tips to burn propane and the difference is awesome.

If you go with oxy acet go with a known brand the quality is worth the price. I like Victor myself and it's a tool skimping on your tools, especially ones as potentially dangerous as a torch rig is a foolish mistake.

Frosty The Lucky.

You get what you pay for.

Smith, Harris, Victor Purox/Oswald,Airco

are all good brands, I wouldn't consider anything else.

Personally I am a fan of Oswald/Purox but I also own most  other types including Harris, Victor and Airco.

All work very well for me.

I have never owned Smith gear but it is 

Well recommended.

It's all about parts availability.   Esab bought out Victor and canned the Oxweld and Purox lines, in a few years parts will not be available for them.  They now push Victor, which is a good torch and probably the easiest (most common) to get parts for.  Harris makes the best 1 piece scrap torch.  Smith is also a very good torch, but not as common so those pesky parts aren't as easy to get.  Every company (off brand) makes Victor and Harris clones.  Some big companies will have contracts with Victor/Harris to rebrand their torches.

Lot's of Oxweld stuff available used and cheap on ebay. I have Victor, Harris, Smith and Oxweld. After using the Oxweld it's my torch of choice, perfect balance and easy to control without the valves getting in the way all the time, especially if you have big hands. I paid a lot less for the Oxweld than any of the other torches and parts too and if I had to give them all up but one I would keep the old Oxweld.

Esab still has new cutting tips for Oxweld. They also introduced a new series of Oxweld and Purox sets in 2012 called "Elite" but I wasn't aware they already discontinued them  http://www.esabna.com/us/en/news/archive/purox-oxweld.cfm