I Forge Iron

what I learned at SOFA QUAD STATE

The vendor community seemed to agree that this temporary blacksmithing hype will pass and run its course this year thus prices will drop like a sack of hammers. I was informed next season's meet will be overrun with the flash in the pan hobbyists toys.Not to say the craft will evaporate.  There will be folks who are vested.  Rather the folks who tire of watching a television program and attempting to duplicate the skills as seen on tv will have run its course. 

Does that seem unlikely? 

Just now, ThomasPowers said:

I expect the die off to take longer with some stuff not hitting the market till estate sales.

Well, estate sales do happen when people die off....

I suspect that we won't see the die-off as long as "Forged In Fire" is still getting good ratings. 

Blacksmiths have been using anvils for a bunch of years. If you notice the new owners always ask how old their anvils are and the answer is usually 100 years or more. We can not say how many people have owned or used those anvils. 

NEW anvils are being sold to the original owners even today. 

I can still remember when folks said blacksmithing was a dead or at least dying craft.

Although I'm one of the new people to the craft I can reasonably argue that the television shows weren't the impetus for my interest in smithing.  I fell in love with it years ago at my friend's forge on his family farm.  However, I was certainly reminded of the desire to build my own shop.

However, I think it is safe to say that, in a year or two, there will be a number of dusty anvils and other equipment looking for a home.  The trick will be waiting until those guys realize that they bought high and become willing to take a loss selling the stuff taking up room in their yard or garage.  Angry wives may be the number one driving force behind the drop in prices!

On Friday, October 28, 2016 at 8:16 PM, Glenn said:

Blacksmiths have been using anvils for a bunch of years. If you notice the new owners always ask how old their anvils are and the answer is usually 100 years or more. We can not say how many people have owned or used those anvils. 

NEW anvils are being sold to the original owners even today. 

I can still remember when folks said blacksmithing was a dead or at least dying craft.

I hear thst Blackdmithing IS A dying craft Today. They must live under a rock ?

I'm one of those idiots that needs to be despised since my interest in blacksmithing was started after watching highlander and restarted due to watching forged in fire.

And yes, I would like to make a sword, pole arms, and knives....

Please feel free to flog me at your will and remove my account from this site.

Or, embrace us idiots and help us grow and understand other parts of the craft.

I don't think anyone here cares about how anyone else's interest in our noble craft was originally piqued, Shogun71. However that happened, if someone is willing to move beyond that initial spark, to put in the sweat equity, and to listen to and learn from the experience of the folks here, then they will be embraced, supported, and encouraged. Sure, there are lots of folks who are into weaponry of all types, but that's not the criterion by which they are judged -- if it were, I doubt we'd have bladesmithing and swordsmithing sections of IFI.