I Forge Iron

soderfors (hopefully) i bought

hello.

bought this anvil, which the guy tells me is a soderfors, he said he could just make it out from the side, but on the photos i cannot see it, so i trust his reading irl.

i havent picked it up yet, but from the looks of it, it seems like it may well be.

he told me it also said "1818", however, i do believe it is 1918, which it looks like on the picture.

131 or 133kg or thereabouts, so quite a beast :)

P1010002 (1).JPG

P1010003 (1).JPG

P1010004 (1).JPG

P1010005 (1).JPG

P1010006 (1).JPG

It's really gorgeous.  Blows my mind the amazing anvils people are parading through here lately.  I need to go a' huntin'....

I want to be in the cool crowd that gives Frosty anvil envy.  Speaking of Frosty, his passion for those Soderfors will bring him here sooner than later and you will get some knowledgeable feedback on its authenticity.

Looks good, Soderfors anvils don't really wear, they chip but they're so hard they don't "wear."

That's 133lbs. Soderfors stamps weight in lbs. not kg. However I'll gladly accept a correction if I'm wrong. They shipped everywhere so I wouldn't be surprised to see one marked in kg. I just haven't so far.

Congratulations, you can stop looking for a better anvil now, there aren't any.

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, redeeman said:

on the first image it looks pretty reaonsably like "kg", and the guy told me it most definitely requires two people to move (i havent picked it up yet)

I see what you're looking at and can't disagree. I guess I assumed what you're seeing as a KG was one of many different logos I've seen on Soderfors anvils. And directly below it looks to be ?37LB.

A little wire brushing and oblique light will make it all clear. I can't wait. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

If that is a real chunk of a 4x4 lying next to it then it looks to be over 14" tall...at least.  If you used a pair of calipers on a printed picture of it you have a way to make a decent estimate of its size.  That would tell a lot about the weight.

pretty sure thats a 4x4, or what they call 100x100mm here, also i believe the pallet is probably a europallet of 120x80cm, though thats pure guesswork, though they are most common here in Denmark

edit: well i guess it could be a 3x3 on second thought

Edited by redeeman