I Forge Iron

Forced air forge

Ethan larson

Hello,

i was wondering if I built a forge with a forced air blower from the first link, that is 14 inches long(air tank), 2 inches of insowool, a layer of satanite, and itc-100, with the blower from the second link will I be able to reach forge welding Temperatures? Also where would I put the burner on the forge?

http://www.hightemptools.com/burners.html

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002PU9Q4O/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Ethan: You REALLY need to spend some time reading about propane burners. The burner in the first link is naturally aspirated commonly miscalled a "venturi". No blower necessary, heck a blower would mess things up.

The add (expect to see these links deleted by admin as soon s they notice) tells you the burner in add 1 is good for 350 cu/in. Telling us how long your shell is and how thick you want to line it is what. A request for us to do simple arithmetic for you?

Though to answer your question as asked. No it won't reach welding temperature.

Frosty The Lucky.

I agree that he needs to do a bit more research, but the forced air kits are below what they call venturi burners.

Ethan, it looks like you've done at least a little bit of reading, but the questions you asked have been answered numerous times in various ways in several threads on here. Burner placement and orientation are discussed frequently in the gas forge section, as is the number and size of burners needed for specific volumes of forge chambers.  Calculating forge volume is also covered frequently.  However, you didn't even give us enough information to do that for you if we were so inclined.   Do a bit more reading and get back to us.  The guys here will help troubleshoot your system and get your forge where you want it to be as long as you've put in the time to read through the basics.

Hi Ethan.  I am a newbie like you and have done some research on forced air forges, but like I said I am just a newbie on this subject.   I see the kit you are thinking about purchasing on the lower half of the web page , and it looks fine to me.  But as stated above we do not know the cubic volume of the forge you are planning.  The fan you show us is not going to work, 100 cfm is too small for even the smallest forge, I think 180 cfm would be the minimum, and a squirrel cage fan is not preferred for forge blowers as they cannot handle varying back pressures.  And of course you need to think about how you are going to get the output of the fan into a round pipe!   You want to be looking for a paddle fan.  I have not been able to find good data on sizing forced air fans for forges except to look on web pages from people selling them for that purpose.  Good paddle fans are not cheap!   I personally do not know why a good hair dryer would not work for a while, but like I said I have only read about this subject so far.

Well if you were only in the United States I would suggest checking with an HVAC company for a used fan off a super efficient furnace, they are used for exhaust assist and not reused when a furnace gets pulled for a cracked or rusted out heat exchanger and so might be *free* if you talk with them about what you are doing.   (A lot of folks are very helpful and friendly to aspiring blacksmiths---I had a plumber buy me a special fitting once when I was a Smithlet and didn't have the money for it at the supply counter.!)