I Forge Iron

Replacement gears for Champion Blower

First more detail on the forge and blower is needed.  If it's one with a pump lever and integral blower you are most likely out of luck unless you know someone who can braze up a knob for you to file to shape.  Parts are found by finding one in better shape and then transferring them; but as they made so many variants it may be hard to find an identical match.

Second: can you remove the old blower and hook a different one in place?  A pedestal blower can be very nice! 

Yes. I use one ,model 145-18 with no. 140 Eureka blower.

Buy another blower. I see them on eBay.

I don't have pics on phone. If I remember I will post some from computer. But....you know what they look like.......

If you don't repair the blower remove the tuyere pipe from below. Connect you a 400 blower or western chief via a pipe connection. That would only cost you about (depending on where you buy one) $300.00

• 1 year later...

I have exact same forge! The large straight cut gear also was missing three teeth and the Blower impeller was rusted out!  I just filled in where three teeth were missing and built the area up with Braze! I preheated part in 500 degree electric oven!"My powdercoat oven" I also heated steel bucket of sand. Preheating is needed to keep from cracking the cast! I also buried part in sand after brazing and put back in oven! I then turned off oven and allowed part to cool over night!  I then used a set of jewlers files and recut three teeth!  Yes it too about three hours of work!  I Have a working original blower now, and I prefer to keep it that way! My Forge came out of a old shop in  Custer South Dakota!    I Made the new impeller out of same thickness steel, all I had to work with was a few rusted blades for a pattern and the shaft hub!  It seems to work good , now have to make a Hickory Handle!   I will then clean forge bowl and legs up and get entire unit back together! I am pretty pleased so far as I bought entire unit from a local guy for 150.00!  I felt it was a good deal even needing repair!  I included , picture of gear repair, On tooth wasnt built up with braze as good as I like and I will keep a eye on it! I also included a pic of impeller I made and Railroad track anvil I made two weeks ago!

I will have to make a back hood as well like the looks of yours . I would appreciate rough  dimensions of it?   

IMG_1334.JPG

IMG_1335.JPG

IMG_1327.JPG

Yes allot of fiddling! But the are not making any more of these forges!  I choose to keep it original! I could have made a broach and broched the gear in my lathe, but i figured timewise good practice just to do it with files? I am a old school soul I guess!

Started cleaning up original seamed tube legs this afternoon. They seam to be in excellent shape, but the way they bolt to the forge pan with one bolt seems rather weak and started to compress the tubing!  Inside diameter of tube was about 7/8 inch. I had some solid stock cold rolled so I cut three pieces 1.5 inches long. I then put a bit of tapper on edges in lathe and drove them into tube legs at the top! Tomorrow I will drill bolt hole thru solid stock and fasten legs back to bowl of forge!  I will feel better about leg integrity. I will post more as I finalize this project in the next few day!

IMG_1337.JPG

Well My forge is back together! Blower is working great! I have to line the pan and waiting for the coal I ordered for a test fire! I am very pleased with how it turned out! I turned a new crank handle today a peaned handle onto arm!  Turns out while wire wheeling the pan it is a model 147 Champion which has a bit larger pan than the 145! Mine is a 22 inch pan! I am anxous to try it out!

IMG_1345.JPG

IMG_1346.JPG