I Forge Iron

Forge liner

Zeroclick

Hi All,

I was looking through some posts and noticed a few people have said about not using cement for shaping the inside. As there had been known cases of poor performance and sometimes injury.  But what if you use fire cement which is meant to be used at high temperatures.

Or recommended alternatives.

Thanks,

Luke 

Fire cement? Have a brand name and performance numbers? They'll be on the bag. Okay, the term is from across the pond, threw me for a second, I can't say with any certainty. That's just not enough information for us to have a meaningfull opinion about.

Here a Cement is for sticking things together be it doll house parts or aggregate in Concrete. Were you over here I'd say NO it's for repairing or laying masonry or fire place tiles, etc.

What kind of forge are you making? If it's a coal, charcoal forge there's no need for a refractory liner, an inch or so of clay to help disperse heat on a cast iron table is about all that's ever needed. Well, some folk will shape the firepot with clay but that's in the realm of make ANYTHING work.

If you're making a propane forge you NEED to use a high temperature refractory preferably inside an insulating layer. It's been laid out pretty well in the gas forge section on Iforge. Tell us more I'm sure someone around here knows. :ph34r:

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi Frosty,

Sorry the stuff I was looking at is at this link http://www.diy.com/departments/everbuild-ready-mixed-fire-cement-1-kg/227136_BQ.prd

I am building a bottom draught coal forge. The reason I ask is that I wanted to shape the fire pot of the forge as the bowl I currently have is 4 inches deep all the way round. It was an old table fire pit that was being thrown out. I will put some pictures up when I get home.

I did see that clay was recommended but what type would be best to get the longest life out of the forge.

Thanks

I use s mortar or straight Portland cement with perlite or vermiculite mixed with it.  And have always had good success.  You want your mix to be smooth.  So you have less chance for air pockets.  The perlite and vermiculite help with heat but are more there to make the mix lighter.  I also take some 9 wire or barbed wire and make alittle reinforcement frame work.

I think I will try the dirt and see how it does. The bowl I have is 4" deep and 21" across, my plan is to build up the inside to leave a lip of about anot inch for reserve coal and then have a 4" wide fire pot in the centre.

I will put up some pics tomorrow to show what it looks like.

Don't apologize folk ask this question all the time and as you can see by some of the suggestions myths abound. garden clay mixed with sand works well. Just enough clay to hold the sand together is about as good as it gets. Clinker tends to stick to clay so can scuff up a clay fire pot and straight sand tends to slump to conical which is fine but it wants  to shift easily. A little clay to hold it together is a good thing.

Of course now you're mixing a liner which is extra work when you can just scoop a shovel full when you need to rebuild it. A box of dirt works a treat.

Frosty The Lucky.