I Forge Iron

Flat bar tongs

Michael Cochran

Just finished up these ugly new tongs. I saw a picture on another forum where a guy was trying to sell them and I said to myself, 'those look good and useful but not $xx good and useful, I should be able to make some for much less.' Well let me just say they don't look anywhere as good but they do hold, I'll give them a try when they finish cooling enough to handle. I made them from some of my weaving blades since that's what they are meant to hold I thought it might be ironic but then I couldn't decide the correct word cause ironic wasn't it, maybe 'fitting' would be a better word. Well let me show you some pictures before I ramble to much more. Up first is a picture of the starting stock, notice the hole for the rivet conveniently already in place for me. Next picture is the rough forged blanks the rest I think you can figure out. By the way the last one is a full size weaving blade held with two fingers and a thumb. You can't see the bottom of the blade because I didn't want in the picture and I couldn't spread my arms far enough to show it dangling (and that far away I wouldn't have been able to see the button on my phone to take the picture lol).image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

3 hours ago, JHCC said:

The American Bladesmith Society's YouTube page has a pair of videos about making a similar version: Part onePart two

Also check out the IFI blueprint for Uri Hofi's "woop" tongs (especially starting about 1/3 of the way down, as he starts to shape the jaws): BP1004

Those videos make it look harder that it really was. The hardest part was drawing out the HC steel I used. I don't have the fancy tools like in the be you mention so I used my pritchel hole to help with some of the bending and used a pair of 1/4 v bit tongs for some of the fiddly bending. They really aren't that hard to make and they could've been much nicer but I got in a rush.