I Forge Iron

19th Century Brick Forge Build

Bradon21

I'm a, 2 year experienced, blacksmith building my second forge and is an functioning recreation of an antique 19th century forge used in small towns all around Europe. The dimensions are 36" wide, 24" deep, and about 24"-36" tall. it will be made of fire brick and a metal fire pot. I've included a photo of my rough ideas but wish to known from more experienced blacksmiths if there is anything i should know or any tips?

IMG_7172-1024x768.jpg

I'm in the process of designing (and eventually building...) a brick forge. During my research I came upon a non-existing thread (Google indexed and links to it here, but it doesn't seem to exist) that detailed a brick forge build. I managed to source the pictures elsewhere and I've attached them below. Hopefully you can use them.

IForgeIron Blueprints
Copyright 2002 - 2011 IFORGEIRON, All rights reserved

BP0553 Building a Brick Forge - Part 1
by Jeremy Knippel 2006

BF1.jpg

BF2.jpg

BF3.jpg

BF4.jpg

BF5.jpg

BF6.jpg

BF7.jpg

BF8.jpg

BF9.jpg

BF10.jpg

BF11.jpg

BF12.jpg

BF13.jpg

BF14.jpg

BF15.jpg

BF16.jpg

BF17.jpg

BF18.jpg

BF19.jpg

BF20.jpg

BF21.jpg

BF22.jpg

BF23.jpg

BF24.jpg

BF25.jpg

BF26.jpg

BF27.jpg

BF28.jpg

BF29.jpg

BF30.jpg

This is a picture of the air controls I had made to look like a blacksmiths/wheelwrights "traveler". There is one on both sides of the forge so I can control the air no matter what side I am working on. both are connected with linkages so they both work simultaneously.

golden_forge_controls.jpg

18 minutes ago, jeremy k said:

This is a picture of the air controls I had made to look like a blacksmiths/wheelwrights "traveler". There is one on both sides of the forge so I can control the air no matter what side I am working on. both are connected with linkages so they both work simultaneously.

golden_forge_controls.jpg

Ah Jeremy, would you happen to be the author of the original thread where the pictures originates from? If so, do you happen to know what happened to the thread?

Yes -

IForgeIron Blueprints
Copyright 2002 - 2011 IFORGEIRON, All rights reserved

BP0553 Building a Brick Forge - Part 1
by Jeremy Knippel 2006

Some of the Bp's are not viewable as with some old pictures in the threads on the forums are not viewable due to upgrades to the software that were not quite compatible with each other - bummer for everyone, but it is what it is. - If you see something on the net and like it - I would suggest printing it  - because at some time it may not be available anymore to see/read as sites come and go.

I remember when this was originally posted but hadn't seen your blast controls Jeremy. How long did it take you to build it? It's almost too pretty to use but too much work not to. How does it work, have pics of it in action?

I've only ever used a proper masonry forge a couple times the one at Fort. Nisqually  near the Tacoma Narrows bridge is my favorite. I was visiting on vacation years ago and friend took me to a living history day. I stopped to watch the smiths, got to talking and next thing I knew I was sent to "wardrobe" for proper garb and put to work. What a blast though I'm afraid I burned someone else's work by being too enthusiastic with the bellows.

It'd be nice to have enough work and room to dedicate the space for a masonry forge, it's a huge investment in time and floor space not to  mention roofing.

Frosty The Lucky.

Brandon21 - I would suggest using a portable forge or what every your using now for a few years more before you go and make a permanent forge from brick, unless you have a long term area/shop to use, like others have said - its a good amount of an expense to get into unless your going to be there awhile, and want to keep forging for many years. Otherwise - go for it!.

55 minutes ago, draavi said:

Hope no one comes in and says... "it would look better in THAT corner".

I've been hobby forging for around 2 1/2 years now and wanted to build a brick and mortar forge like Jeremys at first. glad I didnt because I'm still not exactly sure where I'd ultimately want it in my shop.