I Forge Iron

early Hay Budden

Hello ! I am looking at a early Hay Budden 131 lb. anvil with the serial number 7185 it looks to be in pretty good shape can anyone give a the date of this serial number ?? I have tried to find the AIA book at local books stores with no luck.. thank you for any help with this.. John

s-l1600[2] (12).jpg

s-l1600[1] (14).jpg

Hello njanvilman !! thank you for letting me know the year !! i's not mine yet, just looking at it at the moment .. its about 40 miles from me and I haven't checked the rebound on it yet.. from what you can see in the photos .. in your opinion does it look to be in pretty good condition ?? thanks again, John

Face looks flat, edges have some wear.  Horn looks good.    The early HB are not as elegant as later ones, but as a user, it should be OK.

It will all come down to price.  If you can get it for a competitive price, and decide to flip it, you might be able to make some $$ on it toward other stuff.  And we all know how blacksmiths like metal stuff: tools, etc.

18 hours ago, JT said:

Hello ! I am looking at a early Hay Budden 131 lb. anvil with the serial number 7185 it looks to be in pretty good shape can anyone give a the date of this serial number ?? I have tried to find the AIA book at local books stores with no luck.. thank you for any help with this.. John

s-l1600[2] (12).jpg

s-l1600[1] (14).jpg

s-l1600[8] (2).jpg

s-l1600[7] (3).jpg

added a couple more photos...

• 1 month later...