I Forge Iron

Trying to find out about a strange anvil

First, welcome to Iforgeiron. Please put your location in your header, you might be surprised how many blacksmiths may be close by.

Second, show us the photo of the other side, my guess is that what you have is half of a vise, not really an anvil. If so, it's more of a light duty cast iron block than something that can withstand any type of heavy hammering.

Welcome aboard Ben, glad to have you. Yeah, that's the half of one of the combination blacksmith shop in one tool so commonly seen in catalogues, Sears being one of the premier examples. Heck as late as the 1950s (I THINK) you could buy a kit house out of the Sears catalogue, a since passed Uncle and Aunt lived in one.

It's not up to any real blacksmithing, like Thomas says straightening nails is about it's useful range. However it's a beauty, I wouldn't mind having one like it on display, maybe sitting on the wood stove as another heat exchanger.

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome to I.F.I.

We just came back from the country dacha last Monday night. You are in the late "Tom Clark" country. (Potosi, Mo.)

You may wish to check out the "local" Blacksmiths of Missouri group. at www.bamsite.org

Regards,

SLAG.