I Forge Iron

new vise stand

MarkDobson

figure id show you guys the new stand i made for my vise. not sure what it was before i started cutting in it but i cut the center out of it and welded it back together, then drilled and welded studs into the top to hold the vise. and yes i was wearing a mask and had a fan blowing the fumes out of the shop while i was welding.

IMG_20160828_151306.jpg20160828_150118.jpg

6 hours ago, Kevin_Olson said:

How much does it weigh. Are going to have to stand on it when twisting something or will you secure to the floor

if i had to estimate, id say its about 250lbs all together so i doubt id have to stand on it but its large enough that i can stand on it and the smaller square sections in the middle that are sticking out far enough so that if i need more leverage or need to be higher for whatever reason i can stand on those too

• 1 month later...
On 8/29/2016 at 4:48 PM, MarkDobson said:

the smaller square sections in the middle that are sticking out far enough so that if i need more leverage or need to be higher for whatever reason i can stand on those too

I was about to ask if you welded those on for that purpose but it sounds like they were there.  

On 8/29/2016 at 4:51 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Say what!  I can tilt my 515# vise easily trying to bend some 1.25" stock in the hardy hole.

Ya I thought the same thing as Thomas.  I am having to redesign my original stand idea since my original "ill just attach it to this 200 lb stump" idea was way to unstable for my Liking and simply laughed at me when trying to bend stuff.  Those tabs should come in handy for putting some sideways and downwards pressure to keeps things from rocking around depending on what type of work your doing.  

Looks great and thanks for sharing. Ill post mine up once I am finished.