I Forge Iron

Henry Wright Anvil

So i just picked up a Hennry Wright Anvil. It is marked on the side as 179. Does this manufacturer use the english weight meaning its a 317 pound anvil or is that normal pounds so just 179. Either way it was a good deal and a marked improvement in weight over my current anvil but i want to know just how good a deal lol. I will post pictures after work.

8 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

In the CWT system  the center number can be 0-4 as it represents quarter hundredweights  so 7 would be an improper fraction.  What did your bathroom scale say it weighed?

My bathroom scale is made of glass and as strong as i am im not feeling confident in trying to lift this thing and gently place it on the scale. If it does break my GF will be quite upset :p. You answered my question though i think. Must be pounds. It cant be KG because i was able to lift the thing and im not sure i could lift 395lbs lol If it was 317 i would have been super impressed with myself lol

I used to go to auctions hunting for that "large anvil", only to find out that to an Auctioneer "large" meant anything over the 9 pound bench cast iron ASO's for straightening nails.

So after a lot of wasted miles and time I came up with a filtering method:  I'd call up the Auctioneer before the sale and ask how many people did it take to move the anvil: 1 = small anvil < 100#, 2 = medium anvil < 150#, a laugh and "we used a tractor/forklift/hoist on it!" = I attended the auction.   Never got a big anvil that way but I wasted a lot less time and gas.  I finally got my 515# and 410# anvils using the TPAAAT

24 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I used to go to auctions hunting for that "large anvil", only to find out that to an Auctioneer "large" meant anything over the 9 pound bench cast iron ASO's for straightening nails.

So after a lot of wasted miles and time I came up with a filtering method:  I'd call up the Auctioneer before the sale and ask how many people did it take to move the anvil: 1 = small anvil < 100#, 2 = medium anvil < 150#, a laugh and "we used a tractor/forklift/hoist on it!" = I attended the auction.   Never got a big anvil that way but I wasted a lot less time and gas.  I finally got my 515# and 410# anvils using the TPAAAT

Lol that does sound like a heck of a good system. I think this one will do me for quite a while as my home anvil and my old 93lb peter wright will become my portable anvil. As much as a 300lb+ anvil is something i salavate for i will be happy with what i have now. I do need to clean the edges up a bit on it. Does anyone know a video showing a good way to do so? I dont mean like welding up edges. I dont have the skill or tools for that. I mean just trueing them up a bit with maybe an angle grinder or something. Im just not sure what the edges whould look like all i know is that the edges here dont look like they should.