I Forge Iron

Another anvil saved from the scrap yard.... I'm on a roll!

Driving by the scrap yard I live next to today, I felt something calling to me... so I swung on in and walked around, looking for a power hammer as I do every now and then.... and what should I find, but a 260 lb Hercules Anvil being used to hold down a pile of sheet metal :P Asked the owner how much, and we agreed on $200 for it. I mentioned my smithing, and fished out my box of wares to give him a bottle opener in gratitude, and he really liked one of my RR Spike knives, so he took that, and $160 for the anvil n.n

The bird poop next to the hardy hole was free...

IMG_20160728_162634_zps9ubp84hy.jpg

where in the world are you?? I know where I'm moving! nice save/score!

Littleblacksmith

34 minutes ago, littleblacksmith said:

where in the world are you?? I know where I'm moving! nice save/score!

Littleblacksmith

In a wonderful bit of serendipity... I am from the city of Iron, MN :P Is it any wonder I find anvils? Hahaha

3 hours ago, Black Frog said:

Looks to be a Hay-Budden marked for a hardware chain.  Check the front foot under the horn for a serial number...

Yep, that was my assessment as well. I knew Hercules anvils were made by Haybudden when I saw it, and who could mistake that shape?!? It's got an unusual crease in the middle of the face that runs from one side to the other can't figure out what is going on there, but I think this anvil will replace my 250lb Peter Wright as my main shop anvil. There are one or two deep gouges, but they're smaller than 1/4" around, and the face, even covered in rust, has excellent rebound.

I'll have to take a wire wheel to it this wekend to get a better look at it.