I Forge Iron

Switchblade mechanism

philip in china

My comments as to the supposed/proper/constitutionally legal role of the Federal government are moot, really. As you two so well pointed out, it's not what happens today. That is an aside though.

My answer to agsolder's question is still correct and valid though; the Federal Swichblade Act prohibits (or limits) interstate commerce of switchblades and posession thereof in certain US territories and regions (e.g. D.C, Indian reservations etc.). It does not affect intrastate affairs. Therefore state law does not trump federal law, nor have I ever implied that it does. (Whether it should on the other hand is a completely different matter. ;-))

Whoever knowingly introduces, or manufactures for introduction,
into interstate commerce, or transports or distributes in
interstate commerce, any switchblade knife, shall be fined not more
than $2,000 or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

Whoever, within any Territory or possession of the United States,
within Indian country (as defined in section 1151 of title 18), or
within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the
United States (as defined in section 7 of title 18), manufactures,
sells, or possesses any switchblade knife, shall be fined not more
than $2,000 or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

Of course, many states have their own laws regarding switchblades too.

Just one thing to remember about Wikipedia.... the information is posted by the users who may, or may not, have the correct information included... usually safe to use for general information....

BUT, for something like this, I'd check with some official government sites including state and local officials.....

If someone was to travel across a state-line to buy a switch-blade, that could be construed as interstate commerce even if you did not advertise or ship it..... depends on who's reading the laws that day.....

(Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me....);)

Ah, if only the law meant what it seems to say, as Matt so touchingly seems to think it does. But then, where would all the lawyers and judges and jurors and bailiffs and court clerks and stenographers be if all the courthouses were empty? Obviously the law never means simply what it seems to say, but what a judge and or a jury decide(s) it means. Let us hope if ever the need arises, that your faith is borne out. Beware, however, that just having a switchblade on one's person bespeaks a certain predilection for using it, for premeditated mayhem, in other words. I wish this were not so. I love the little darlings, so cleverly engineered, so beautifully crafted. As with other instruments of death, like Lugers and black widow spiders, though, few can see past the horror to the beauty.

Sir, I find your attitude and language condescending in the extreme and I ask you to keep civil or keep quiet.

I'm well aware of 'creative' judgements; in this country we are now not permitted by Those Who Know Better to carry locking knives without a 'good reason', due to a 'creative' judgement that a locked folding blade is a fixed blade.

I agree that many people suffer from hoplophobia, and I hate it, and try to help them lose it whenever I can.

May I ask what state you are from?

We are now talking about carrying switchblade knives in two different countries with two different judicial systems, and the legal trouble it can cause.

The original question was

How does a switchblade action work?

A warning would be appropriate to check local laws, and the local police intergeneration of those laws before making, carrying, or transporting this type of knife.

Nothing is, nor meant to be condescending, uncivil, or off-track in the least about my posts. Your views are indeed touching. Mine are the expressions of more than 60 years of experience with switchblades and their inner workings, and the law, lawyers, courts, judges, and juries. As to what state I am in, electronic flux, alas-- I exist only as a transient configuration of pixels on your screen every now and then, mostly then from now on.

Waaaay back when I was in college I went and talked to the local police about blade laws for our local SCA group.

Even they were confused about what the tangle of statuates meant as AR had a law on the books banning the sale or possession of swords---it used to include bowies as well but Lile got that part changed. Yet swords were being sold at every fleamarket. It dated to the reconstruction BTW.

On the other hand if you were going a certain number of miles out of your daily routine you were allowed to carry a large knife "against the dangers of the road".

On the gripping hand the concealed deadly weapon law was so loose that my physics textbook in my backpack could qualify as a concealed deadly weapon and woe to the business man with a pencil in his inside coat pocket!

So what I took from all this was "sure I might be right; but was I willing to spend *thousands* of dollars proving it! You still have to pay even if they find in your favour.

So, how do they work? I've always wanted to know, is it a coil spring or a cam and leaf spring? How about the triggering mechanism? Some Italian stilletoes have a little hole near the pivot, but not all automatics I've seen have this. And the saftey, usually a little slide button, it seems like it must slide over the tip of the blade to hold it down. There's a fair bit of mechanism in a small space.

Nothing is, nor meant to be condescending, uncivil, or off-track in the least about my posts. Your views are indeed touching. Mine are the expressions of more than 60 years of experience with switchblades and their inner workings, and the law, lawyers, courts, judges, and juries. As to what state I am in, electronic flux, alas-- I exist only as a transient configuration of pixels on your screen every now and then, mostly then from now on.

Very well, I will give you the benefit of the doubt, and say no more about it; it's just that your words were difficult to interpret correctly in such a limited medium. Don't, though, think that you're the only one with a realistic view of the judicial system; that IS condescending.

• 1 month later...