I Forge Iron

After 10 years I'm finally getting a real anvil, Vulcan 200lb

Sadly I'm getting it after a gentleman passed away. He was a farrier and his wife wanted someone to get it thar would use it. I was going to get a peter wright 110lber but a collector offered 1200 for it and I walked.

I'll have pics come tuesday. Now I need to build a proper stand and figure out how to unload this with getting a hernia.

Congratulation are in order, not that someone passed away but that you are saving it from a collector, flipper, whatever. The widow is comforted knowing her husband would be pleased, his memory and to a degree he will live on. I can't think of a better way to acquire a piece of equipment and a 200lb. Fisher isn't something to sneeze at.

I hope if I pass before Deb does she sells all my gear hopefully to guys who will use it.

Use it for many years and every once in a while give it a little tap or two while thinking of the previous user and don't forget to pass the story along to it's next owner when that time comes.

Frosty The Lucky.

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

I hope if I pass before Deb does she sells all my gear hopefully to guys who will use it.

And I reckon the boys probably hope she sells it to them for what you told her you paid for it as well   :)  :):)

21 hours ago, bound201 said:

Sadly I'm getting it after a gentleman passed away. He was a farrier and his wife wanted someone to get it thar would use it. I was going to get a peter wright 110lber but a collector offered 1200 for it and I walked.

I'll have pics come tuesday. Now I need to build a proper stand and figure out how to unload this with getting a hernia.

I would hope you can avoid getting the hernia.

On 7/17/2016 at 5:08 PM, Frosty said:

Congratulation are in order, not that someone passed away but that you are saving it from a collector, flipper, whatever. The widow is comforted knowing her husband would be pleased, his memory and to a degree he will live on. I can't think of a better way to acquire a piece of equipment and a 200lb. Fisher isn't something to sneeze at.

Use it for many years and every once in a while give it a little tap or two while thinking of the previous user and don't forget to pass the story along to it's next owner when that time comes.

Frosty The Lucky.

I intend to do so. It is now in hand and now to figure how to get it out of the truck and onto an anvil stand I don't have as of yet lol. As for the price she sold it to me for 100 bucks. It is in very nice shape, it has chips along one edge due to never being dressed but other than that its in great shape.

Can someone point me to an anvil stand thread?

• 4 weeks later...

I unloaded my 350 lb Hay Budden by myself by hand. The way I did it was to lay a car tire with 30 psi in it on the floor behind the trailer with a large section of plywood lay on top of it. Sliding an anvil this size is easy, and I simply tilted it off the end of the trailer onto the plywood. Working it down onto the flat surface was a piece of cake. Then I slid it onto the bottom section of a welding cart and wheeled it out of the way for now. Simple, safe, and easy.

Maui

On 7/18/2016 at 5:45 PM, bound201 said:

Can someone point me to an anvil stand thread?

I'm no smith, but I've been doing woodworking for over 25 years. I can probably help you figure out a stand with whatever tools you already own. If you have a router you can use your anvil as a pattern to make an exact fit cut out for the base to sit in.