I Forge Iron

contaminated wheel????

Hey guys....so i got some white diamond compound for use on handles...so i used it once or twice on a buffing wheel. hadnt been used enough where it was loaded and starting to cake on the wheel yet. so i was using black g10 handle material and did the shaping on the grinder then when i went to move to the buffing wheel i was stupid usually i clean it off before i buff this time i didnt i wiped the handle (with my shirt) and took it right to the buffer the wheel instantly turned black (it did buff the handle fine) i guess all the exxecess residue on the black g10 transfered to the wheel. so now my question is is that wheel contaminated should i only use that buff on handles or do you guys think it will be alright to use on polishing a blade i have one blade that i am about to bring to a mirror finish and this knife i sware is jinxed i made sooooo many stupid little mistakes on this one i dont want to have to back step because it got all scratched up on the wheel.   has any one done this before???   if i had more wheels i would just use a new one but i dont and dont want to order just a wheel if i dont have to. i am kinda torn on this one on one hand yeh its deffinitly contaminated but on the other that g10 dust is so fine and should be softer than metal so maybe it wont. either way just wondering if anyone has contaminated a wheel with handle matterial before this bad 

Cross contaminating your buffs isn't an unusual part of the learning curve. Education can be expensive and you just made a "rough" service or trash/junk buff; one to use on things that don't matter so much. If you haven't tried to make it work so much you drove the  compound very far into the wheel you might be able to trim it back.

Another practice that's NEVER a good idea on your finish buffs is to use them on different materials, using the same one on wood as steel isn't a good thing, it cross contaminates buffs like crazy. Dust, grit, etc. impregnates wood and gets transferred to the buff and scratches steel. Using the steel buff on wood transfers the steel cuttings to the wood where it will oxidize and stain the wood.

Yeah I know lots of bladesmiths use the same buff on everything. . . No comment.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ok thanks guys yeh usually i keep things seperate as much as possible and i dont know why i did that....well yes i do lets say it was a day of lots of stupid little mistakes that i usually dont do it cost time effort and some of my sanity by the time i got to the buffing stage i just wasnt in the right mind i usually wipe the handle down with acetone but i just wasnt thinking and its not cross contamination of compound it was deffinitly the g10 dust it was a brand new wheel i only used it 2 times with the white diamond stuff so the wheel hadnt turned black yet but as soon as that dust filled handle hit the wheel it went black quick....that was the last of the stupid mistakes that day just one of those days    i am usually good with the buffs i have never made a mistake like that before thats why i asked     oh well ill have to order a couple new ones    hey its a excuse for me to get some more handle material and belts    :D  thanks tho guys i appreciate it! oh one other question a lil off topic but i have never used wood (well once way back when i first started) i have always like the options between g10 micarta carbon fiber all that stuff but now that i am starting to sell some of my blades i have to make them appeal to others so i am working on one that will have cocobolo handles so in some reading and vids i have seen people oil the wood handle is that something that is done ontop of buffing or in place of it? 

I'm not a wood guy so I don't go for the high finish a knife handle deserves. However I finish the wood to a pretty fine sand paper finish, Varathane or wax it then polish. That said I am NOT a wood guy, I mess with wood IF I have to.

Frosty The Lucky.

Every wood is treated different.  Cocobolo is a very oily wood, in my experience it smokes a belt and just wants to shine on its own.  While a wood like Osage Orange will smoke a saw blade but sands easily.  Generally, for me the only woods I'll use polishing compounds on are some stabilized woods.  Most woods like Cocobolo respond well to hand sanding and steel wool.  A little tung oil and some paste wax on the buffer to get it to shine.