I Forge Iron

Plant Stand/Side Table

Chris Comtois

Made this for a friend who gifted me a boxed DVD season of Game of Thrones.  3/8 inch square bar.  The top ring I bent around an old oxygen cylinder, the bottom ring I used my new pipe bender tool.  Bottom platform is woven and riveted to the ring - I will not do that again, unless I can think of a better way than heat one strap, bend it out of the way, heat another strap, bend it back, etc.  It came out very lumpy in the end and I spent way too much time trying to flatten it back out.

IMG_0442.JPGIMG_0443.JPGIMG_0444.JPGIMG_0445.JPG

I like it, very nice. Next time you want to do a weave simply slip the strips together BEFORE you cut and attach the ends, it makes it so easy a 6 yr old can do it. The heat bend, repeat method is intuitive but not the easy way. I'm lazy I opt for easy when I can. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

When making woven wire screen from larger diameter wires/strips, the wires are crimped prior to assembly.  If you think it through, you could forge crimps in the strips to approximate size and location of the over-laps, assemble, and then tweak the finish.  The toughest part is keeping your head straight about where the crimps go.

We use crimping machines but the largest strips are about 10 gauge  x 1.  On the rare larger crimp job, we use the hydraulic presses and cold crimp one at a time--you have to carefully calculate bend allowances if you need accuracy.

12 hours ago, Frosty said:

I like it, very nice. Next time you want to do a weave simply slip the strips together BEFORE you cut and attach the ends, it makes it so easy a 6 yr old can do it. The heat bend, repeat method is intuitive but not the easy way. I'm lazy I opt for easy when I can. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

D'oh!  There you go being all logical.

Dustin, the copper rings are pre-cut plumbing attachments I found in the bargain bin at Home Depot - yes they are basically just short lengths of pipe that I split lengthwise to slip around the hoop, then crimped together.  If I did it again, I think I would do it the hard way and slip the whole bit over the bar, then bend, weld and paint the bar so the pieces aren't cut and crimped.  But they were kind of an afterthought as a way to attach the dreamcatcher.