I Forge Iron

Coat Rack/Hat Rack

My Uncle and Aunt are members of a Revolutionary War reenactment group and go to a lot of demonstrations.  They wanted a rack to hang bags and other items on while in camp.  Here's what I came up with.  Made from 1/2 inch square.  The whole thing is about six feet tall.  The feet come off for east transport and storage.

coat rack 1.JPG

coat rack 4.JPG

coat rack 5.JPG

coat rack 2.JPG

I think that is very impressive. I see alot of different techniques at work throughout the piece but the one that really caught my eye is the basket twist. I have never found a good source for how those are done. Was it 4 piece ot smaller stock welded into th larger main body or was it cut in somehow? Only thing im not a fan of is the feet. It has pointy feet but my house has hardwood floors so those would mark up the floor and then my landlord would kill me lol

3 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Just the thing for stepping on and driving them into the ground---most reenactments I have been too, (Roman-WWII) are held outdoors.  I do a variation of a tripod with offset spiked feet for heavy (10 gallon) pots.

Oh man i never even thought of that! They make perfect sense now.

Yeah the feet are to stick into the ground to anchor it.  If you look the main stem also goes all the way through a hole in the base and sticks in the ground as well - I figured with all the heavy wool stuff it would be good to keep it from falling over.  I cheated with the basket twist - I welded four 1/4 inch bars together, then welded that piece in between the main stem and the pointy piece on top. 

5 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

It's only cheating if you arc or torch welded them as you often make a basket by forge welding them.

Cheating ?, so long as it works and is safe and by current definition it's blacksmithing, I would also add well finished with welds ground smooth (unless a feature) and welding spatter removed.

My concern with the practical side of this item is the necking in above the lower level of the bag supports as it is a weak spot on 1/2" square bar and is easily bent when in use or being transported.

Other than that, Good job 

Here are a few twists for Dustin or anyone else interested.

Twist from solid.jpg

on 1/2" square bar split through from two sides, twist it , and then untwist whilst compressing to open out into a cage until required profile is reached, slight adjustments with tongs or wedge type tools may be required.

Playtime with a Claydon knot type twist, 

six round bars 

Twist on stick.JPG

Four round bars, doubled back onto themself and twisted, then the four bars placed together, ends firewelded together, one having a ball end, the other scarfed and attached to a solid bar to be used as a part of a companion set tool, then the twisted sections revers twisted and compressed at the same time to give the cage .

Twists.JPG

These show ends welded, one is for a clockwise twist (Right hand) the other is anticlockwise (Left hand) why  right and left hand ?, its a comfort thing when in use.

Twists on bars.JPG

Just a selection of multi bar twists made by the students on a course we held

Twist based on Claydon Knot.JPG Twist in use made by student after course.JPG

This one is based on an unfished Claydon knot

Hope you find them of interest.

Twisted cage from  round bars.jpg